FTP/Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricvoices

I have both my PC & my laptop set up on a small home network & I can share files between the both of them fine, even the printer sharing works perfectly. However, I'm using Serv-U to host an FTP site & from both my PC & my laptop I can access the FTP site using my username/password fine on both computers. However, when I step outside my home network onto another PC I cannot log into the FTP site & I know the server is running & up. Any ideas on this?

what msg(s) occur when you attempt to login?
site not found or user/passwd invalid?

electricvoices said:
I have both my PC & my laptop set up on a small home network & I can share files between the both of them fine, even the printer sharing works perfectly. However, I'm using Serv-U to host an FTP site & from both my PC & my laptop I can access the FTP site using my username/password fine on both computers. However, when I step outside my home network onto another PC I cannot log into the FTP site & I know the server is running & up. Any ideas on this?

Hi

I tried setting up Serv-U and couldnt even get as far as getting a working FTP site, I did once have it setup a while back before I invested in a Router , so I think that may have been the problem.

As a suggestion, if your using a Router, have you opened the right ports, I think you have to set something called "Port Forwarding", this allows computers outside of the LAN to get past the routers firewall settings.

Regards

Ididmyc600 said:
As a suggestion, if your using a Router, have you opened the right ports, I think you have to set something called "Port Forwarding", this allows computers outside of the LAN to get past the routers firewall settings.
Port Forwarding is needed for the inbound connection on the FTP server, and ONLY port 21 is needed (the user must then use a PASSIVE connection).

outbound connections to any server do not need nor benefit from port forwarding

I do have troubles using Serv-U with port 21, it says that it can't listen on that port because it's already in use, but i have no idea what it could be in use by... i know i have the passive mode set up on my internet settings & i believe so on my ftp setting (i will have to double-check, but i'm pretty sure)... Since i've disabled the anonymous login i have to type the ftp address in (outside of my LAN) as ftp://"user name"@"ftp address":"port number"/... i have a wireless internet network connection set up on my LAN, i'm using a Linksys WRT54G router... i have never heard of Port Forwarding before...

jobeard said:
outbound connections to any server do not need nor benefit from port forwarding

Did I mention anything about outbound connections Jo? I said he would need to open his router for him to connect from outside the LAN.

electricvoices said:
I do have troubles using Serv-U with port 21, it says that it can't listen on that port because it's already in use, but i have no idea what it could be in use by...
your ISP can be blocking it. Did you purchase a hosting contract or are you
trying to run FTPD from a personal account? EULA typically prohibit this :(
and the blocking of server ports (20,21,25,80,443,8080) are typical.
i know i have the passive mode . Since i've disabled the anonymous login i have to type the ftp address in (outside of my LAN) as ftp://"user name"@"ftp address":"port number"/...
this looks like a hosted environment w/o a domain being purchased. if you had a domain, then you should be able to use
ftp : //ip-address:"port number"/ ...ur LAN ip address which has the FTPD running​

jobeard said:
your ISP can be blocking it. Did you purchase a hosting contract or are you
trying to run FTPD from a personal account? EULA typically prohibit this :(
and the blocking of server ports (20,21,25,80,443,8080) are typical.
this looks like a hosted environment w/o a domain being purchased. if you had a domain, then you should be able to use
ftp : //ip-address:"port number"/ ...y suggestions besides purchasing a domain? =]​

try filezilla free
but here's what I do maybe theres better way I don't know
on ftp server need your wan ip address plus need to open a port in router like
8080 or what ever keep it high
this is waht the server config looks like
Code:
71.45.123.123:8080/
read u-serve manual may show where this is put
PS
I tried u-serve did not work well for me
I used filezilla when I had a home server
to reg a domain go to godady.com ,my choice, :))hand
when you get it they have a place to setup DNS records add your wan IP if it stays static yor OK if not go to mydns and reg with them
then your ftp will be like
Code:
ftp://joesftp.com:8080

electricvoices said:
You're right, i haven't purchased a domain or anything... i figured that it was possible to do this without going through all of that... any suggestions besides purchasing a domain? =]
Ok, but you are in conflict with your agreement to the ISP.
You are NOT allowed to run any server software; beware, they may shut you down.
They can monitor your bandwidth consumption and detect that something
is going on -- and will investigate to find the FTP protocol.

configure your FTPd to use any port above 1024; eg 10021
then port forward 10021 in your router to your LAN address

access will then be

ftp $your-public-ipaddress:10021​

$your-public-ipaddress will be found in your router,
and you will need a userid/password for each person to access it

So all in all, the best way to go is to just buy a domain site... i get that... i'll do that asap since it's cheap anyways... but my real question is why can't i access my ftp site from any other pc outside of my home lan?

two major reasons:
1) your system is not properly configured
and/or
2) your ISP is blocking the default port(s)

I have run a server for over 4 yrs never shut me dwn dsl and cable
they don't care
want the do care bout is virus's and spyware
thats why they keep the ports 80 20 21 53 locked
I have been told by some they got around this by port forward there 8080 to port 80 on the wan ip address I have not tried this
I don't think yo uwil ever be shut dwn by your isp
you use more bandwidth in dwn ld and what not
just check your net status for 1 day
my talks with cable and dsl techs have lead to some helpful hints on gettting servers to work at home just don't push" I'm at home thing" alot.
and remember to you as a server your uploading
that is only a max of 658kb/s on most cable dsl is slower

yes, I've run a server or two from time to time to show a client some work
performed at home. Even w/o a registered domain name, you only
need,
your public ip-address,
your system service conf'd for a 'non-official' port
.[(80-moved to 10080 for example. btw: 8080 is official for Java JSP service),
AND your router port-forwarding to the machine-lan-ip:port.

as long as traffic is trivial, you're right, no one cares.

but try counting the minutes you survive with some P3P file sharing service
and 1/2 of the world clamoring to get to your files! you will stand out like
a sore thumb and the will intervene -- I promise. the bandwidth will be very
high for data flow FROM your service -- ie upload and that will be the trigger.

I used 8080 all the time and people still use it don't know anything bout java port 8080
I used to sell a lot on ebay with huge images I could here the server getting hammered was never shut off or warned about it
I asked techy
he did not even care again if i can dwnld 30 gig a day and up load same to any ftp server how does that effect a home server and your isp shutting you dwn cause of your bandwidth no way
p2p is not the same thing

Samstoned said:
I used 8080 all the time and people still use it don't know anything bout java port 8080
I do because I program that stuff.
Also 8080 is used for remote router control
I used to sell a lot on ebay with huge images I could here the server getting hammered was never shut off or warned about it
I asked techy
he did not even care again if i can dwnld 30 gig a day and up load same to any ftp server how does that effect a home server and your isp shutting you dwn cause of your bandwidth no way
p2p is not the same thing
contrat's to you -- just because you've gotten away with it doesn't make it ok nor void your End User License Agreement with the ISP ( and most people don't even read it ). PEACE be with you. I'm no longer subscript to this thread.

thats to bad you may learn something
here is the
data on port 8080 IANA registration
nothing to do with java protocal unless you want it to
http-alt 8080/tcp HTTP Alternate (see port 80)
http-alt 8080/udp HTTP Alternate (see port 80)

Samstoned said:
thats to bad you may learn something
here is the
data on port 8080 IANA registration
nothing to do with java protocal unless you want it to
http-alt 8080/tcp HTTP Alternate (see port 80)
http-alt 8080/udp HTTP Alternate (see port 80)
that's true for all port usage.
one can config FTP to use port 80 and a web server to use port 21.

let's just agree to disagree. if need be, I concede you're right and let's get back
to solving real problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back