Fun with Hacktool.rootkit

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeuos

What a way to introduce myself - I managed to have gotten a trojan horse that seems to have been around for several years. Not sure how, but I have it anyways. For reference, I'm not a computer *****, but I am relatively computer illiterate.

Here are some details:

NAV found Hacktool.rootkit on my weekly scan last night (2/1/08) and successfully deleted it. I've since been following this tutorial to further clean up my system - https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic34006.html .

Ran Sysclean, it found nothing. Followed with NAV scan per Sysclean readme, it found nothing.
Did not run RootKitRevealer as I figured I would likely not understand the output (why bother installing software that wouldn't do me any good, at least for now).
Ran AproposFix, it found nothing (but only took ~2 seconds to run - normal?). I've attached the logfile (log.txt).
Did not run Gromozon removal tool.
Ran HijackThis 2.02, renaming the exe to Hijackthis1991. Log file attached (hijackthis.log). Did not find any of the following
C:\WINDOWS\javapanel.exe
C:\WINDOWS\taskcntr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\xpjava.exe

O23 - Service: ECA (cpanel) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\javapanel.exe
O23 - Service: TASKESV (TESV) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\taskcntr.exe
O23 - Service: SystemManager - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\sysmanager.exe

Finished running scans, decided to post details and logfiles. In theory, I could be clean, but in reality I suspect I am not. If anyone with knowledge is able to take a look at the logfiles, I would greatly appreciate it. Any suggestions are also welcome.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back