Future Proof Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok everyone im looking to purchase the Q6600 processor, an EVGA 8800GT, 2GB of ram(maybe 4GB?), and a P35 chipset motherboard right after thanksgiving... would this comp be future proof and be able to handle games in future (2-3+ years?) I want to buy this but im afraid that it will be trash here in a few months.. what do you guys think? if i should change anything what should i change? thanks -josh

also im interested in getting COD4 at the same time i purchase this, how would it run with the following specs? what kind of fps could i be expecting on average?

well im wanting to get a comp that will last me for a few years.. i dont plan on upgrading again.. how will the comp i listed above play games such as call of duty 4, ut3, etc. i will only be using this comp for gaming and i just want to make sure i buy something that isnt trash by next year

u never know what the next will be or how fast they will come that is a good computer but to say it will work in three never think that for gameing for business deffinately.

I think if you wait tell a year from now would be the best.

Correct me if i'm wrong but a couple of things will happen:

1) PCI Express 2.0 cards will be cheaper and their will be more driver support, cards, etc...
2) PCI Express 2.0 motherboards will be in more than just one flavor.
3) SATA 3 is due to come out next year
4) DDR3 will be more widely used
5) Possibly a new release by intel or amd, (I hope)

However thats why I am waiting tell next year to build a new computer.

I want to add something to your post, stick.

Intel 45nm Processor will be released to customers by mid - end of 2008.

yeah, but by then there will be something else that keeps us all waiting just a little longer...I'd say do some research, buy a board that supports a wide range of stuff (memory, cpu, PCI, PCIx) and go with it. You will never be able to totally future proof any rig, so if you need to upgrade, do it, but plan on doing it all over again in a few years. There's just no way to keep a gaming computer current for more than a year or two. That's my two cents worth.

I bought my computer (specs to the right) 2 years ago and I've been playing Call of Duty 4 and Crysis for the past couple weeks and it's been working great. I run them at native res (1680x1050) with medium settings.

So the answer is yeah, probably, unless we perfect cold fusion or something in the next 2 years...

I think the most important thing and best choice for you to do right now is get a graphics card that supports DX10. and has 512+ mb of memory

I would wait until December or so, The 8900 is coming out and will be alot faster then anything today

So either wait a month and get that or buy what you listed

TimeParadoX said:
I would wait until December or so, The 8900 is coming out and will be alot faster then anything today

So either wait a month and get that or buy what you listed

That's a slippery slope if I've ever heard one.

Wait a month to get the next hot product, but then when that rolls around, the next hot product after that one is coming out in a month...

Waiting might not be a bad idea in this case but don't hold out if you want a machine now.

I waited and got my previous PC thinking I could have waited 10 more months or so. Well, A year later which is last month I built my PC thinking I could have waited for few more months like what exactly you are thinking right now.

This never ending waiting thing will go on and on. Just go do it when you want it bad enough. In my case, in the near future, when the price on what is existing goes down, I just swap for a better processor, another GPU for SLi untill they become really screwy. Now I play COD4 and World Conflict in max sittings and I am very happy playing Crysis on what I have now. Just hope I can play at least 5 more great games before a more demanding game come out.

Yea, even if you bought your computer now it will still be able to run things 2 - 3 years in the future. I have a AMD Althon 64 (Socket 754), AGP 8X Radeon X850 Pro and only 756mb of ram and a ATA-100 hard drive and I can still play Supreme commander on a medium-high setting with multible computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back