Fyi: Comcast limits BitTorrent traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DelJo63

There are no exact numbers available, but some have claimed BitTorrent traffic comprises a significant portion of total Internet traffic. Comcast has limited bandwidth available for its millions of customers and has reportedly cut off service for some users who used more than their share of bandwidth. The company has admitted it restricts users who consume too much bandwidth (not specifically BitTorrent traffic) to ensure all of its customers receive adequate service, although it won't officially say what the limit is.

see the article for details

Implication are performance related to BitTorrent users and nothing from the
client side will alter the effects created by Comcast

If this keeps up it will be a sad time online, back to BBS we go.. I hoe the merry we go..

Jobeard I take it you have comcast..then..

Actually, NO! :)

I started with Adelphia.net which was quiet good, but they went bankrupt due
to mismanagement and the assests were sold to two competing provideres:
Timewarner Cable and Comcast​
I'm currently with TWC (which is ho-hum in service). Their network is way over loaded
with significat Lost Packet rates (which they say they are working on).

fYI: Cox was using traffic shaping hardware to disrupt p2p traffic.

Last week we reported that like Comcast -- Cox was using traffic shaping hardware to disrupt p2p traffic. Specifically, the company is using traffic shaping hardware to send forged TCP/IP packets with the RST (reset) flag set, with the goal of disrupting upstream eDonkey connections. We received confirmation from Cox late Friday that they were in fact engaging in the practice. From Cox's David Deliman, Product Communications Manager:

Cox does not prohibit the use of file-sharing services for uploads or downloads, or discriminate against any specific services in any way. To help our customers make the most out of their Internet experience, we take proactive measures to ensure that bandwidth intensive applications do not negatively impact their service. These network management practices are outlined in our subscriber agreement and Acceptable Use Policy.

Note that the company is being somewhat more forthcoming than Comcast -- who simply stated that they do not block p2p traffic.

This is bad day for me as I use COx... I don't want to go back to DSL...

You know both are pretty much joined at the hip now! So if one does something the other one is going to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back