G80 ultra 80C,

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinkedKube

So my g80 card is running at 80 degrees celcius right now. The fan isnt automatically speeding up, and ntune wont let me increase the fan speed, any suggestions. I already downclocked it, but it still wants to run hot.

Way too hot. 176 degrees farenheit. May be damaged.

Try another very good CPU fan... Zalman or better... new thermal paste, case fans.

Tell us more about the board brand and model, as well as the cpu... and do a Google search for related problems.

raybay said:
Way too hot. 176 degrees farenheit. May be damaged.

Try another very good CPU fan... Zalman or better... new thermal paste, case fans.

Tell us more about the board brand and model, as well as the cpu... and do a Google search for related problems.

Um this is a video card that he is talking about. nVIDIA 8800 Ultra.

Anyways, I have a GTX and it isnt all that uncommon for it to run in the mid 70's after a good long hard F.E.A.R session and I have tons of case cooling including a 120mm fan blowing right on it.

Fact of the matter is, these cards run hot, the Ultra just being an overclocked GTX may explain the excess heat.

Update, I got this from a review I read:

GPU TEMPERATURE

According to the Rivatuner utility, the default fan speed of the XFX GeForce 8800 Ultra XXX Edition is pegged at 1600RPM with the fan operating at 60%. At a room temperature of 23° C / 74° F, the idle temperature of the XFX GeForce 8800 Ultra XXX Edition was approximately 61° C / 141° F. Ambient temperature was 49° C / 120° F.

One of the keys to generating heat on a GPU is to enable as many transistors as possible. Transistors are switched on by using features such as AA and HDR. For this test, Oblivion was running with 4x AA and HDR enabled at a resolution of 2560x1600, which resulted in a peak GPU temperature of 85° C / 185° F. Ambient temperature was 61° C / 142° F.

So there is not a problem with your temps, they are just the product of a bad *** video card doing its job :D

Although, my XFX card has only 2 speeds for the fan, idle or high, does not seem like it has many differnt speeds that are adjusted by heat.

If the fan isn't speeding up and you can't change it's speed through SpeedFan or any other program, then it's probably a faulty card. Replace it before the GPU gets damaged. It'll also increase ur ambient temps quite a lot.

Um

What temp does your card idle at ? What is the temp under load ?

If its close to what I posted then you are fine......

80c sounds hot but for that card it isnt......

55C at idle, full load 80C. I dont think its faulty, the fan spins, but its not at full speed, i heard it once at full speed when i ran ntune's vga tuner. that was it.

Then its ok

As per the review I quoted from and many more that i have read, 80c is 5c lower than average...Your idle temps of 55c are 10c lower than average.

YOUR FINE !!!!!!!!!!!

supersmashbrada said:
and i didnt know u can change vga temp with speedfan.
Here is a list of motherboards which support fan speed tweaking through SpeedFan. Your motherboard doesn't seem to be among them though, so don't bother. As said by JimShady23, if your card seems to be at 80C under load consistently and you're sure the fan is able to spin up to full speed when you're playing a GPU-intensive game like FEAR, you're perfectly okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back