GA-P35-DS3R Problems on New Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, where to start. Complete new build, installed Intel Dual Core Processor, Zalman fan. I connected the power supply (500W Antec Sonata 3) and inserted 2 Memory slots (2 GBx2=4 GB total). Turned it on and the fans came on, and the mobo's lights came on, but no beeps whatsoever and it only stayed on for a sec, then restarted. Took out memory, moved it around and so forth, still no beeps and it keeps restarting. Left memory in, installed graphics card (8800 GTS). Fans came on card also, no picture on monitor (the card has no onboard video), and it still restarted.

Anyone have any ideas on what I could do next?

Yes, but not at first. Before I plugged it in, the power came on (and didnt restart), but no beeps, all fans worked-including the graphics card, but when I plugged a monitor in-nothing. When I did plug in the 4 wire plug (in addition to the 24 pin plug), thats when it started restarting.

waburkhead1 said:
Ok, where to start. Complete new build, installed Intel Dual Core Processor, Zalman fan. I connected the power supply (500W Antec Sonata 3) and inserted 2 Memory slots (2 GBx2=4 GB total). Turned it on and the fans came on, and the mobo's lights came on, but no beeps whatsoever and it only stayed on for a sec, then restarted. Took out memory, moved it around and so forth, still no beeps and it keeps restarting. Left memory in, installed graphics card (8800 GTS). Fans came on card also, no picture on monitor (the card has no onboard video), and it still restarted.

Anyone have any ideas on what I could do next?

Hey,
did you ever find out what the problem was?
i ran into the same problem you have, i'm thinking maybe i bought the wrong memory sticks? (Kingston hyper x khx8500d2k2/2gr)
everything powers up accept monitor,mouse,and keyboard , and yeah it kept restarting

I had a similar problem with a machine back in January. It turned out that the new CPU cooler wasn't seated right and the machine was shutting down from CPU overheating.
It could be that without the extra 12v connection, the CPU was running at very low power and when you did connect it (which you must), it could run fast enough to get hot?

Lynx0849 said:
I had a similar problem with a machine back in January. It turned out that the new CPU cooler wasn't seated right and the machine was shutting down from CPU overheating.
It could be that without the extra 12v connection, the CPU was running at very low power and when you did connect it (which you must), it could run fast enough to get hot?
so you don't think it's my memory sticks?
I'll try messing around with my cpu fan this weekened.
thanks for the suggestion i hope it'll work.

Hello. Any luck with this problem? I've got exactly the same thing - fans do half a turn then stop. I've removed everything, RAM included. Fans spin up with the 24 pin motherboard plug in, but soon as I plug in that 4-pin plug it goes wrong.

It's probably too late for snowman but your Kingston RAM runs at 2.2V and the motherboard defaults to 1.8V. If you can get into the BIOS, try changing the RAM voltage.

Edna, when you say fans (plural) do a half turn, then stop, do you mean all your fans? Which ones? Does anything else work? Also, what are the brands and models of your major components?

Hi mailpup. Thanks for the reply. I'll give more details below in case you can think of something else to try. Components are listed at the bottom.

The only fans that were plugged in were the PSU and the CPU. The one I noticed actually turning was the CPU. Not even half a turn really - more like a twitch of a few degrees.

First time I tried with single SATA hard drive connected to SATA0, X1950 in the PCIe slot (monitor plugged in), along with an IDE CD drive, both sticks of RAM in DDR2 slots 1/3. No good - just the fan twitch.

Then I unplugged everything except for the motherboard power (24 and 4 pin plugs) and 1 stick of RAM in slot 1. Same again.

Unplugged the RAM. Same again.

Unplugged the 4 pin ATX and the PSU and CPU fans fired up and stayed on until I turned the power off. Put the ATX back in, back to the fan twitch.

Tried reseating the CPU and replacing the CPU cooler with the original P4 cooler (always using a touch of Arctic Silver 5). No change.

Lifted the board onto its side in case something was shorting. Same again.

Gave up!

Two extra bits of info. The RAM has LEDs on it, which also turn on momentarily when the fan twitches. The PSU has an LED on it that indicates an error by turning on (red) almost immediately when I turn it on: "Power Failure Detector will light up when Over-Voltage, Under-Voltage, Over-Temperature, Over-Current, Over-Loading, and Short circuit occur"

Assuming the board isn't dead (it is off ebay, so I wouldn't be all that surprised) the two things I wonder about are the CPU (one review says that older P4s weren't supported, so maybe the BIOS needs updating to one that can handle the older chips) and the RAM (needs 2v and the board defaults to 1.8?). But it doesn't go without the RAM either.

Any thoughts? Any advice gratefully received!

GA-P35C-DS3R
Coolermaster iGreen 430w PSU
Pentium 4 3GHz 530
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro CPU cooler
Geil Black Dragon DDR2 2x1Gb
Connect3D X1950 Pro PCIe

How confusing. First I thought I'd lost my last reply, now it seems to be back! This is pretty much the same info, but maybe there's a vital clue hidden in the different way I've described it, so I'll leave this one here ...

Thanks for replying mailpup. I'll give you some more info and maybe you can think of something else to try.

Components :-

Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R
Coolermaster iGreen 430w
Pentium 4, 3GHz 530
Arctic Freezer 7 CPU cooler with Arctic Silver 5 paste
Geil Black Dragon 2x1Gb (PC2-6400C4 800MHz DDR2 Dual Channel Kit GB22GB6400C4DC)
Connect3D X1950 Pro

First I had everything above plugged in, along with an IDE CD drive and a SATA hard drive. CPU fan twitched (didn't even do half a turn really), LEDs on the RAM turned on briefly, red LED on the back of the PSU came on permanently: "Power Failure Detector will light up when Over-Voltage, Under-Voltage, Over-Temperature, Over-Current, Over-Loading, and Short circuit occur."

Then I unplugged everything except 1 stick of RAM and the motherboard. Same thing - twitch of the CPU fan, PSU red light came on.

Tried moving the RAM into slot 3 and tried removing the RAM altogether. No change.

Tried reseating the CPU and put on the original Intel CPU cooler. No change.

Gave up! Reinstated my Asus AG8 and it still works fine, so the CPU/cooler/GPU/PSU seem to be okay. That just leaves the RAM (new) and the motherboard (used, off ebay).

The two things I wonder are ...

... could it be that my CPU is so old that the board doesn't support it? It's on the list from a very early BIOS revision, but maybe my board still has the oldest BIOS.

... maybe it won't start without any RAM, but it isn't giving enough voltage to start with the RAM (they seem to need 1.9v, and the board defaults to 1.8), so in neither case it can POST.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

When we met sparks flew....!

Actually 1.8 Volts is the DDR@ standard. The difference between 1.8 & 1.9 is not that significant.

I'm sure it couldn't be this, but the PSU red lighting makes it necessary for me to ask, is the mobo shorting against the case?

I know you put it the standoffs in the correct positions and removed the ones you didn't need, but reassure me.

Pretty sure I haven't shorted out the motherboard. The stand offs are built into my case as metal dimples at screw hole positions, so I don't think I can get it far wrong. I tried putting it on my knees and switching it on, just in case, but get the same issue.

This is actually starting to sound like a bad PSU or mobo.

Although the voltage difference between 1.8 & 2.2V is significant enough to prevent post.

The Pent 530 isn't that, that old, at least I don't think so. (3 years maybe).

The BIOS does need, (or sets aside) some RAM. So I would see if I could find a stick of "Kingston Value RAM", and give the a shot.
Say what you like about it, it ALWAYS posts, and it's 1.8 Volts.

Sometimes "shopping victoriously" leads to a hollow triumph?

Here's a scary thought, maybe you bought "warburkhead's" old board.

If your only problem so far is the fan not turning normally, you might not actually have a problem but if I overlooked some other problem you have, I could be wrong.

I have a similar motherboard (click my System Specs link to the far right of my name). I also happen to use the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro CPU cooler but I don't think that's relevant. When I first start my PC and it's cold, I get the same fan twitching until the CPU warms up a bit and then it starts turning "normally." It appears to be a characteristic of these boards. So if you haven't installed Windows yet (or whatever OS), go ahead and do so and see if the fan doesn't come on.

Another thing, to take full advantage of your SATA hard drive I recommend that you enable AHCI mode. If you do, make sure to have the SATA/RAID controller drivers handy in advance. The motherboard manual tells how to make the floppy drive SATA/RAID driver disk. If you don't have a floppy or don't want to install one (they're very inexpensive), you can make a slipstream Windows installation CD. Google for the procedure.

Speaking of the BIOS, you can also try setting the RAM voltage to the lower range of your RAM.

I suspect the diagnostic lights on the PSU coming on momentarily is just a test display to demonstrate the lights themselves work although I'm not 100% sure because I haven't looked at a manual. It would be similar to when you start your car and the "Check Engine" light comes on momentarily. That is just a test to confirm that the light bulb works.

Ah, if only that were true. Sadly after the initial twitch the PSU red light stays on, the RAM lights turn off, and nothing happens. Certainly nothing as useful as a picture on the monitor. In fact, it seems to go such a small distance into booting up that I'd be surprised if unsupported RAM or CPU was causing it, but I could well be wrong there. There just doesn't seem time for sort of thing (i.e. software issues) to kick in.

Thanks for all your help. The seller has agreed to refund me so I'll go that route rather than buying another CPU and RAM just to see whether they were the cause (good money after bad and all that). Think I'll go for a board that has "tested and working" written on the description!

edna said:
Sadly after the initial twitch the PSU red light stays on, the RAM lights turn off, and nothing happens.
Okay. That wasn't clear to me. Anyway, hopefully your replacement will work fine.

GA-P35-DS3R Problems on New

Hello Edna,
This was my first custom build and like a noob i am, I didn't set the cpu cooler properly, maybe it could be other problems, but that fixed it for me.
I heard these motheboards are really good so yeah try that . I'm really happy with my new custom built pc.

Heres the specs on my pc:

GA-P35-DS3R MOTHERBOARD
INTEL QUAD CORE Q660 PROCESSOR(GO STEPPING)
MASS COOL 8WA741 CPU COOLER
E-GEFORCE 8600 GT SSC EDITION VIDEO CARD
APEVIA 680 WATT BEAST POWER SUPPLY
4 1GB KINGSTON HYPERX (1066)
LITE ON 52X CD BURNER
LITE ON DVD MULTI DVD BURNER
XCLIO A380 CASE
SAITEK ECLIPSE KEYBOARD
LOGITECH MX518 MOUSE
MAXTOR 500GB SATA HARD DRIVE
22" VA226 VIEWSONIC LCD

Status