Gah bloody ibm drives!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrslippyfist

finally it had to happen,
my deskstar gxp 60 died a horrible clicky death :dead: its done this before, but no amount of thumping throwing or shouting abuse at it seems to make it work this time :(
i bought it in dec 2001, did ibm drives have a 2yr waranty at this time? and... now that i have bought a new drive (seagate barracuda 4), can any body recomend a fairly cheap raid controller for when or if the deathstar gets replaced under waranty?

erm, just run the drive fitness utility, you need to for returns apparently. it says death by excessive shock.
is this my fault? it has only been sitting on my desktop, (although when it broke i did bang it gently to try and reset the head), as recomended by someone here. as far as im concerned it is a waranty job, but will ibm see it that way?

i really don't want this drive any more, it's failed on me 3 times before and each time i gave it a few gentle knocks, formated it and it was fine, although i lost all my data. :(
So it would be nice just to have a new one, but if it is excessive shock that broke it, as the diagnostic prgram says, is that my fault and will it invalidate the warranty?

man, its worth a try. the worst that will happen is that you will not be posted out a new drive. you only have a knackered one right now, so there's nothing to loose. at this stage, there's certainly nothing you can do to make it more "validated". Send it back and pray you get something.....

Originally posted by MrSlippyFist
is this my fault?

No it's not your fault IBM has been providing Harddrives with the "click of Death" at no extra charge for some time now.:eek:

which is why they are in a class action suit over their drives.

Ok thanks guys, will send the drive back, although it has to go to Holland and im in the UK :( ibm have offices in UK, don't see why i can't send it there. oh well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back