Game Freezing every 20 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topcut

My problem just get worse. While playing Sword Of The New World my screen freezes, i can move my cursor, sometimes the music keeps playing sometimes it loops, it freezes for about 5 seconds at a time totally locking my comp up. Now and then the game will come up with an error and close or my comp will reboot itself. My CPU is running 100% in windows task manager when I have this game running. I have uninstalled my nVidia drivers and installed the newest ones, however when i try play CS:S or DoD source it says my drivers are out of date.

Specs :
CPU: AMD 64 3700
GFX: nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra AGP
RAM: 2.768GB
Motherboard: ABIT AV8

Any help will be great, thanks

What sound device or card are you using? Try taking the case cover off and see if this problem stops. If it does, the system is overheating

The soundcard is onboard, i think this is it. Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA. My case is open allready

Yes Davescater,
the better cases do increase in temp when the case is open. Most systems are built from crappy cases that leak air like sives, closed or open... This might be caused by a weak power supply or bad/corrupt drivers. It is NVIDIA you know

taking the side of the case off can cause worse airflow inside the pc, but you could try taking the side off and pointing a desk fan at it to blast some air inside and see if that helps

when the side is off my case the temps (for cpu and system) go up :eek:

it says that he has a geforce 6800 ultra which should be sufficient enough to run that game, but i don't know what the system requirements are

power supply?

How big is your power supply, I had similar problem added two extra hard drives to the system then was getting those sorts of probs got new power supply runs fine now but if you havent added anything new to your system maybe not that?
worth a look

I suppose it could be my power supply, if i remember correctly i brought a 300gb hard drive and the problem started soonish after. I dont know how big my PSU how do i find out? Thanks

Does your Gforce have a power connector on it? If it does, make sure you have a power supply connector plugged into it...

What brand is it some say they are 420 but they are not mine was a 400w codgen but the guy at the shop said they were crud bought a 350 watt antek worked great. but if you only changed your dive and didnt add an extra one it shouldnt draw anymore power?anyway try disconnecting any extra periphials like printers and stuff that draw power and see if that makes a diff if not its not its probably not your psu:suspiciou

Tmagic : Yes my PSU connects to my GeForce 6800 Ultra with two 4-pin Peripheral Power Connectors
Herbster : The brand is TURBOLINK

Herbster : Also i have nothing to unplug, all my leads are pluged in to important things, harddrive, dvd, floppy, gfx card

That power supply is considered a low-end generic... I don't know what you paid for it, but I always suggest spending $50+ and make sure the supply has dual 12 volt rails

I have the same sound you have the reason it freezes up are.

1. did you update the chipset drivers for MOBO?
2. did you update the drivers for the onboard sound?
3. did you shutdown anti-virus or spyware programs

PSU should say on what the WATT is but if it said 300W you more likely have 260-280WATT PSU. You need 400WATT min, not 350W. Also make sure you have at list air-intake fan up front and air-outake in the rear or side on your case.

sound is updated, shuting antivirus doesnt do anything and let me quickly check my chipset.
Also i have a fan ontop of mycase blowing air out, PSU fan and the case is open. I have 420watt TURBOLINK PSU

Then you're okay with the PSU... There is something else going on. Run spyware program on your computer and see if anything is hidding.. Spyware Terminiator works great with games so far..

Do a ctrl-alt-del and click on task manager see what's running on the system? CPU should be there.. Are you running firewall on that PC. How much RAM free or Page-File size? Have you defrag the HDD?

use ebuyer again but make sure it's a good brand, don't jsut go by the reviews

coolermaster, zalman, enermax and antec are good ones to look out for

edit: sorry i missed a few posts out :D so this info might not be needed any more

I use generic PSU I don't have problems I use 430W and 530W, I've found that smaller ones don't work so well 200W, 300W, 350W..

well the main things you want are decent amperage on the 12v rail and a good MTBF, usually well known ones like enermax etc will be >100,000 hours

i used to have a generic psu and it started failing after what was probably about 7000 hours

i think this is what my original post on techspot was about ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back