Gamecube -vs- XBox -vs- PS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFF-Zidane

Gamecube/XBox/PS2

Im having an argument with someguy that thinks Xbox is better than gamecube... i'd like ur guys opinion... Whats better Gamecube, Xbox, or Playstaion 2???

Also... i was wondering if anyone can help me with my GameSpy Arcade i have for UT. It stops responding when its getting the service map.:(

Try posting a poll in this thread - may attract more people.

I'm torn between the GC and the XBox. Both have wonderful, great games, but the XBox seems to be more powerful hardware wise, and would probably last longer game quality wise. However, Nintendo has more experience in the gaming field, actually the most out of any of them, and they definitely know more about console gaming. But on the other hand, I'm disappointed in their decision to go with their mini-CD's instead of regular sized, so I could play DVD's on it.

I'm not going to buy either so it doesn't really matter!

I gave in to the Gamecube!

I bought it with Rogue Leader and then got Burnout too.
I'd never bought Nintendo before at all, mostly coz I dont like cutesy brightly coloured games, but GC seems to have more intense games coming to it, like Resident Evil, Bounty Hunter, stuff like that.
Would have been nice if it played other things like DVD or CDs, but then most of us have other methods of playing them anyway if we're serious;)
It's great quality, and hardware wise it always surprises me what the software developers can do with consoles that are way below mid-level PCs in terms of hardware!
Plus, I admire the fact that Nintendo launched it at a sensible price :)

And you can choose your colour...

And when you launch Rogue Leader, you get to see this really cool animation of thousands of Stormtroopers doing a dance number on the surface of the Death Star!:D

It's worth it for that alone...

Spyke, you gotta give Resident Evil a try..I played it at the local funcoland and it is really good. The controls take some getting used to but overall it is a very "scary" game.

Also, Metroid Prime looks very good thus far..

Yep, svt, look forward to trying it! Also Spider-man, and Batman: Dark Tommorow. :)
Also will be interesting to see how Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance compares to my PC Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale experiences.

Getting back to LFF-Zidane's question, I spose the logical answer is that X-Box is technically superior, but the Gamecube is cheaper, reasonably powerful, and has a lot of developer support.

I haven't tried an X-Box yet, but on paper at least it appears to me to be just a low-mid level gaming PC in a big box, although the 8gb hard drive would be handy for saved games etc.

BTW, does anyone know if that means that the releases for X-Box could be patched after release?

Its possible to patch XBOX Games after their release but it is doubtful. Once a console game is released the development team moves on to something else. PC games are a bit different because they always get released with tons of bugs and the developers need to fix them. Console games are usually pretty bugless (thats while they are always delayed coming out) and dont need much patching.

Hmmm.....ok,

So why dont PC game developers spend more time developing a better product, announce the game later, and release it when it's properly finished? Gamers would be happy, the developers would still sell the game, and if expected work-in-progress time was longer, nobody would feel that the release was "delayed".

Or, is that a really stupid question?:rolleyes:

True, though. I cant remember a console game that I've played having any problems!

This is my first foray into Nintendo territory, Tweakster, so didnt see that one;)

I've had Megadrive, and currently have PC, Playstation, and Gamecube! (And not enough time...)

Personally, i would rate the Game Cube as the worst of the three systems. I don't like how the controllers feel, the graphics on some games are ridiculously old, and it can't play DVDs or games with as much information as a DVD.

We just bought an XBOX, before it was 199, and we bought NBA Drive (or whatever the basketball game is called) and Project Gotham Racing. I'm not too hot with sports games on gaming systems because they usually frustrate me like no other...but project gotham racing is one of the greatest car driving games i've ever played. The one problem i have with XBOX is that you have to buy a $30 remote control to be able to play DVDs. What is it with Microsoft and making things incredibly inconvenient! We just spent $450 on an XBOX, 2 games, and an extra controller, and now i find out to play dvds you HAVE to have that remote control! :evil:

PS2 is also another great system. Most of the games i've played on it i've liked, especially GTA3, and it can play DVDs WITHOUT the need of an extra remote.

Originally posted by Spyke
Hmmm.....ok,

So why dont PC game developers spend more time developing a better product, announce the game later, and release it when it's properly finished? Gamers would be happy, the developers would still sell the game, and if expected work-in-progress time was longer, nobody would feel that the release was "delayed".

Or, is that a really stupid question?:rolleyes:

True, though. I cant remember a console game that I've played having any problems!

I am sure the people at 3DRealms have your mentality.:)

The difference with PC Games & Console games is sales figures. A PC best seller won't touch the sale figures of a console block buster.

You are a game developper for PC & you want to make your game known to the public so you announce it. You have publicity ads, you have stands at E3, you release screenshots, etc. All of that costs money ( maybe not the ScreenShots though ) so the longer you take to release a game, the more expensive the promotional budget turns out to be. If you're a small company, you can't afford much.

We're not talking Blizzard here. People like them can afford to be years late because they are perfectionnists & they have the budgets & most important, they have the fanbase. Do you think a game such as Warcraft 3 will not sell ? or Duke Nukem Forever ? Heck no. Doom3 could be released in 2005, there are enough Doom fanatics to make it sell by the case loads.

The PC developper also knows that he can tweak certain things & fix bugs once the game is done, so why won't he ? A special type of game is the MMORPG where everything can't be ready for the release date. Games such as Everquest were dreadfull when they first came out, especially Anarchy Online which really deserved its "anarchy" name.

I don't mind having to patch things up in a regular way, it means that the developpers keep track of their game even though they've made their money allready. Take HL for example. They've sold many of those, yet HL has to be one of the most patched games out there. When a company keeps working on their game & follow the players needs, it's the best way to make your buyers loyal.:)

Yeah, Didou, good points-
I wasn't aware that console games outsold PC ones by such a high margin.

They are great for that "stagger in from the pub unable to find ON switches for pc and monitor, but wanting to drive fast, hit people, blow things up" moments:)

But then, will a console ever be able to play a decent flight-sim...;)

Originally posted by uncleel

It ain't worth the effort.

Many previous posts on this subject.

Exactly what I thought when I saw the subject line. There has been much discussion about this in these forums. Just do a search and see how much info. you find.

Originally posted by Didou

The difference with PC Games & Console games is sales figures. A PC best seller won't touch the sale figures of a console block buster.

You seem to be forgetting something. The one dreaded word that makes developers around the world scream in anger.

Piracy

It's much easier to burn a regular CD (as for PC games) than a cartridge, DVD, or mini-CD (GC). There isn't much piracy in the console world, and what does exist isn't very noticeable. Piracy in PC land runs rampant, and it's costing developers millions. Perhaps if there wasn't as much, PC game sales would compete with console game sales.

But, it all depends how you look at it ;)

Gamecube disks have to be bought directly from Nintendo so I can't easily start my own bootlegging-CD factory.

If I had the money, I would buy all 3 consoles.

The only reason I would get a gamecube: zelda and mario games

The only reason I would get a PS2: final fantasy X and GT3

The only reason I would get a xbox: DOA3 and because it's powerful than the other two consoles

I guess what I'm saying is I'm a free-loader.

The XBOX is the most powerful gaming console in the world, that is a fact.

And, the graphics cannot be touched by anything. But, graphics doesnt cut the cake. Gameplay is very important, and I must admit, just about every game Ive played on the XBOX is painfully addicting. It's just a fantastic product.

Paul

How can you possibly say that the XBOX is more powerful than the Gamecube?

First of all look at the difference in L2 cache XBOX:128kb Gamecube:256kb.

Second, the XBOX has a 32 bit processor, the Gamecube has a 64 bit.

Third, clock speed isn't all their is to a processor, My friends Athlon running at 2.6ghz could beat my celeron,also running at 2.6 ghz, hands down.

Fourth, is their any proof that the XBOX is more powerful than the Gamecube? Have you seen any benchmarks? Anyway, even if microsoft did publish benchmarks comparing the two, the xbox would obviously come out top, when have microsoft ran a benchmark where their product hasn't come out top?

Come on guys, you can't possibly think that the xbox is more powerful, not with all that info. Plus, the Gamecube links to the GBA, HOW COOL IS THAT?

Wow - old thread Jack. Okay, even if the XBox is more powerful than the GC (which it is in raw horsepower), so what? It's all about the games. If the GC has the games you want/like then get that. If the XBox has it then buy that. It's not like they're gonna make games that don't run well for either system.

From a gamer standpoint there should be NO argumments.. if you're a true gamer, you own and love them all. End of story.

I love y GCube for the graphics and awesome Zelda/Metroid(2)/Res Evil, Tales of Symphonia etc...

I love my XBox for Riddick, Gladius, halo ninja gaiden (with the upcoming ninja gaiden re-visited 1.1 patch)/ Halo 2, etc.

and I love my PS2 for my RPG's and backwards compatibility... Final Fantasy VII, IX, etc, KingsField (my cult favorites) Grand Theft Auto and so many other awesome games, Psi-Ops included.

I know some of these are on multiple platforms, but I think I made my point.

Gamers should play games... not play yes it is, no it isn't....

PC games are a bit different because they always get released with tons of bugs and the developers need to fix them. Console games are usually pretty bugless (thats while they are always delayed coming out) and dont need much patching.

The benifit of a console for developers is that the hardware is a known quantity. I think the bugs in pc games arise because of the complexity and variety of the hardware. You can patch xbox games via xbox-live, but seeing how MS controls it and was vehemently against the pc-patch-perception for their new console, I dont know of any- but they might of sneeked one in there with "additional content".

As for the relitive merits of the 3 systems- The PS2 is clearly outclassed grafix wise and sound wise by the other 2, but has a butt-load of games (who has the time?). The Gcube has excellent gfix (no dvd though) and I believe is capable of in-game 5.1. But the xbox's hd, on-line out of the box, excellent 5.1, and progressive scan and hdtv support. So they charge for the stinking remote- boo freakin hoo- the ps2 may play them out of the box, but the quality is crap and no 5.1. ....and well, there's this game called Halo.:)

I cant understand why so many people havnt chosen PS2, All the classics that has produced. Alot of the games that come out on Xbox and Gamecube were started on the PlayStation, for example Resident Evil was made big of playstation, Tekken, Gran Turismo along with the GTA's. I'll always choose Playstation becasue of its heritage and the vast number of amazing games you can get with it. Most new big title games that come out now are first devoleped for the PS2 before the Xbox and GC. I don't know about you lot but when i hear the word console i instantly think PS or PS2. I've played on an Xbox and i just dont like the layout of the controller, the PS2 controller, which is similar to the classic SNES is perfectly designed in my opinon. Plus its backward compatability and DVD capabilities make it my choice. However, ever since i got a decent PC my consoles have been packed away, although i sometimes get my SNES out of a retro gaming marathon on Steet Fighter 2 Turbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back