Gamers Beware... Addiction could be Fatal

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincranky

This was on Yahoo news, if there's any problem posting it here please delete it. It is sort of funny in a macabre sort of way though, is it not?

BEIJING (AFP) - A man in southern China collapsed and died after a three-day marathon online session at a cybercafe, state media reported on Monday.

The web-user, estimated to be 30 years old, suddenly collapsed in front of his computer terminal in Guangdong province, and emergency personnel were unable to revive him, the Beijing News reported.

"According to preliminary findings, the length of time this man spent online might have triggered heart problems," the paper quoted a local hospital emergency medic in the city of Zhongshan as saying.

The paper did not provide the man's name or the online activities he was engaged in.

Worried about growing Internet addiction, China's government has taken steps to combat the problem, including forcing online gaming sites to dock the points of gamers who stay online too long.

lawls, i feel sorry for the poor guy. Longest I've gone in one session is about 50 hours, but I still ate and drank and...yeah well enough said.

poor man.... But he should have nevern been on his computer so much.

He musnt of ate or drank lol.

I heard about that like 2 years ago... I think it was 2 yrs ago. Could have been sooner but can't remember.

My parents looked at me funny after telling me about it. lol
I have never been playing games for that amount of time though. The longest I have been playing is probably only 5 or 6 hours at a time. I like my sleep. :D

I remember two years ago a girl played WOW for 3 days str8 and croaked. What is it about these games that hold these people's interest for that long? I have played many games and none of them can hold my interest for 3 hours if not less, unless i'm playin games with friends that i know in real life.
Also isn't it after 48 hours of staying up, you go into a state of Psychosis?

Hmmm. So one guy with a heart problem dies and millions of others who have not had any reported problems have to be restricted? Of course, I'm sorry anyone died in the first place but that seems an overreaction to me. Even the hospital spokesperson said the online activities MIGHT have triggered the heart attack. The poor guy MIGHT have died watching TV at home too. Maybe they would have restricted TV watching after that too.

A man in korea flew to someone's house and pk'd him in real life, about a year ago. The guy took this drops in the game :(

The weirdest thing i ever saw was in world of warcraft. a alliance player died in real life and so an in game funeral was held, around 200 players turned up to witness the poor persons in game character walk in to a lake to signify their departure in real life.. However the horde side of the game found out about the funeral and shall i say crashed it.. killing all and sundry, Her parents and relatives were all online to watch aswell..

Oh and they realeased a video..

Video here

I heard a similar story about a person who was addicted to a MMORPG, he sat for about 2 days nonstop and had a blood clot in his leg and he died.

Personally, I been on the computer since I was about 5-6 years old, I never had a problem, it's if you NEVER get up and walk around, or eat or drink... So every other 30minutes - 1 hour and just walk around...

some games really spin me in! but hey how interesting was THAT game?! i want to try that want! ummm or better i don't...

Poor guy i go 5 days at times with only water and NO food, i guess it sucks to be hime, but 3 days of gaming, iss that possible, i sure a hell can only do 24 hours before i feel sick, or my net stuffs up

lawlnoob123:hey man you ok?
hngryhngrymn:lol im fine just been playin for 100 hrs straight
lawlnoob123:jeez man get sumthin to eat
hngryhngrymn:eating is for babies
* hngryhngrymn was killed by pkmasta07
lawlnoob123:this could prove ominous

But yeah, it's just too sad that he died. =[
Game on, man. Game on.

I guess the next best move should be recommending a Wii to all gamers. Now only if Nintendo could come up with a brilliant ad-campaign...;)

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
I guess the next best move should be recommending a Wii to all gamers. Now only if Nintendo could come up with a brilliant ad-campaign...;)
We'll have heart attacks and death by exhaustion next!

Yes i have a wii and it's a great invention. Your always on the move, also keeps your brain active. :)

Regards Jase :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back