Games are great...Video bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just installed a new PNY 7600GS 512MB and while my games run great (graphics maxed and smooth on just about every new game), my PC pretty much locks up when I try to play video. Not completely but it slows down pretty much to the point that I have to reboot unless I get lucky and can get the task mgr to come up and kill the program playing video.

Whether it's off a DVD or in the Media player plugin on the net or a video file off the hard drive played through MP the system grinds to a halt. Strangely, when I ctrl+alt+del I can hear the sound of the video playing but as soon as I come back to the desktop it grinds again.

Got the latest Nvidia drivers, adjusted the graphics aperature in BIOS, installed the SIS GART driver. Nothing helps. I feel like I've tried the more difficult things and forgotten something simple.

Some more stats:
P4 2.8G
1G RAM
Asus p4s800 board
400W PSU
Heat - not a problem

Try posting even more detailed specs of your computer, and the brand of your psu. On newegg, the graphic card has a requirement of 350 watts, so that pretty much clears it....have you lowered the hardware acceleration in display properties (always worked for video problems with me)?

More specs

Not sure what else to post at this time...have Sandra/will provide

Processor
Model : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz Prescott
Speed : 2.80GHz
Performance Rating : PR3724 (estimated)
Cores per Processor : 1 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 2 Unit(s)
Internal Data Cache : 16kB Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way set, 64 byte line size, 2 threads sharing
L2 On-board Cache : 1MB ECC Synchronous, ATC, 8-way set, 64 byte line size, 2 lines per sector, 2 threads sharing

Mainboard
Bus(es) : AGP PCI IMB USB i2c/SMBus
MP Support : No
MP APIC : Yes
System BIOS : Award Software, Inc. ASUS P4S800 ACPI BIOS Revision 1006
System : System Manufacturer System Name
Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer INC. P4S800
Total Memory : 1GB DDR-SDRAM

Chipset 1
Model : ASUSTeK Computer Inc SiS648 CPU to PCI Bridge
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 200MHz (800MHz data rate)
Total Memory : 1GB DDR-SDRAM
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 200MHz (400MHz data rate)

Video System
Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS

As I said, try lowering the hardware acceleration. To do this:

1. Right click the mouse
2. Go to settings
3. Click "advanced"
4. Then go the the tab "Troubleshoot"
5. Lower until the system runs better

If this doesn't work, I can't help you (newer to computers), but keep us informed. Someone else might find this post who has experience.

Cfitzarl,
Just finished doing what you said...also disabled write combing at the suggestion of an article from another website. No luck. This seems to have stumped the PNY support person too. I'm reluctant to lower accelerlation too low because while I would like to be able to play video, I dont want to harm the performance I get while gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back