Games console graphics vs Pc Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnR

I read in another post that the PS3 is going to have the equivalent of 2 6800 ultra's, so what i want to know is what is the ps2 equivalent & how does a single 7800gtx compare to both??

I don't know if this will help, but here's the PS3 specs, also read the article about the DEVKIT afterwards for an idea on it's power. These are taken from Psxextreme:

PS3 Specs

CPU
Cell Processor - 3.2GHz
512KB L2 Cache
8 processing units
218 GFLOPS performance

GPU
nVidia RSX - 550MHz
1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance (2X best current PC)
Full HD 1080p x 2 channels (two monitors!)

Memory
512MB total (256MB Main, 256MB video)

System Bandwidth
Main RAM 25.5GB/s
Video RAM 22.4GB/s
RSX 20GB/s write, 15GB/s read
System Bus 2.5GB/s read/write
Floating Point Performance 2 TFLOPS

Sound
Dolby 5.1, DTS, LPCM

Input/Output
HDD slot, 2.5" x 1
USB (4xFront, 2xBack)
Memory Stick, SD card, Compact Flash

Controllers
Bluetooth wireless - up to 7
USB 2.0
PSP (wifi)

Communication
Ethernet x3 (10baseT, 100baseT, gigabit)
WiFi 802.11 b/g
Bluetooth 2.0

AV Output
Analog AV Multi Out x1
HDMI out x2
Digital Audio Optical output x 1
Capable of 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p x2 resolution

Disc Medias
CD - including PS1, CD-DA, SA-CD
DVD - including PS2, PS3, DVD-ROM, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD+R
Blu-Ray disc - PS3, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

Devkit Article

During the PlayStation 2005 Meeting in Japan last week, Sony executives revealed that the current PlayStation 3 development hardware doesn't include all of the final hardware that will be in the retail system, and that a final PS3 Reference Tool dev kit won't be provided to developers until December 2005. This means that initial launch games will likely be developed on the current "beta" hardware and then tidied up on the final PS3 TOOLs right before production.

Here are the pertinent details:

Current PS3 dev hardware includes a 2.4GHz CELL processor. The reference tool will include a 3.2GHz CELL processor.

PS3 dev hardware includes 512MB of XDR DRAM memory. The RAM data transfer rate in current development hardware is capped at 2.5Gb/s. In the final reference tool and retail system, the RAM data transfer rate will be 3.2GB/s.

Current PS3 dev hardware includes a GeForce 7800 graphics unit, connected to a PCIx4 interface (2GB/sec). The reference tool will include an RSX processor, connected to the CPU by a FlexIO interface (35GB/sec)

What does that mean to us, as gamers?

The current development hardware uses a CPU and RAM combination that's only 75% as fast as the final reference tool, and a graphics subsystem that can only squeeze out 6% of the system's potential graphics bandwidth.

1) Launch games won't come close to tapping the PS3's full potential. Some developers will have to optimize their products on pre-December dev hardware in order to meet production milestones.

2) The demo videos we've seen to-date, some of which have looked absolutely jaw dropping, were made using hardware that only flexes 6% of the system's graphical potential.

JohnR said:
I read in another post that the PS3 is going to have the equivalent of 2 6800 ultra's, so what i want to know is what is the ps2 equivalent & how does a single 7800gtx compare to both??

I'd say the ps3 will be better than a 7800gtx, but by the time the ps3 is out there will likely be cards availabe that will beat the ps3.

The ps2 is very slow compared to the ps3, it only has a 147mhz video card core and 4mb of video ram. It seems to have a 300mhz single core cpu and 32mb of main memory. It gets 6.2 GFLOPS, vs the ps3's 218 GFLOPS.

Also, don't forget that the resolution displayed on a television is typically much lower than that displayed on a computer monitor. If you own a 7800GTX you are probably trying to play most of your games using at least a 1600x1200 res - greater than the resolution necessary for a console to output to a television. If you consider that the old PS2 had a "real" max res of 640x240 (it's interlaced) then you could easily take an old GeForce 4 and run your games on you PC monitor at that res to get some pretty good performance with all the eye candy turned on.

Have you ever seen hardware companies underrate their products? Of course they claim the new CPUs / GPUs will be at least twice as fast as current PCs etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back