Games, directx, direct3D and video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

kel555

Ok..so I keep getting the "directx" message when I start the sims 2. This has happened to me countless times, and each time I have easily been able to fix this problem, except this time.

System:
Windows XP home
System Man- NVIDIA
Processor- AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800
Memory-1024MB RAM
DirextX version: DirectX 9.0c

ATI Radeon 9550/X1050 series
Manufacturer: ATI Tech
Chip Type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor AGP
Total Mem: 256.0MB

DirectDraw Acceleration: Enabled
Direct3D - enabled
AGP Texture - N/A

at the bottom it says 'No problems found". When I run the "Test Direct3D" it says "failure at step 7" "failure at step 8" "failure at step 9"

A couple of days ago I played the sims and it was fine, then suddenly today that message pops up. I updated my drivers a bunch of times, installed things and uninstalled things trying to fix this problem.

Anyone know any possible solutions instead of buying a new video card?? How can I tell if my video card died?

1. Click on Start, then Control Panel, then go to Add/Remove Programs.
2. At the top of the list you should see several ATI entries. Select the entry entitled ATI Software Uninstall Utility, and click Change/Remove.
3. You will be prompted to restart your system once the uninstall is complete.
4. Once restarted, check the Add/Remove Programs list again for any remaining ATI software or other drivers that you have tried.
5. If any ATI software is still listed, click Change/Remove on those entries to uninstall each one individually.
6. Next, please scroll through the list until you find an entry called DAO
7. Select DAO, then Click Change/Remove to uninstall this program.

1.Go to link below - Double-click on the downloaded driver file. Click Run
Use the default directory for extracting the files and press the Install button.

XP
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/previous/radeon/radeonxip-cat77-xp.html

2. Click Next on the first install screen.
3. Click Yes to the License agreement.
4. Click the Custom button.
5. Select the driver, catalyst control center and uncheck the box for steam
# The installer will start to load the display driver first.
Next you will see the WDM Capture drivers load (for VIVO or All-In-Wonder).
The Catalyst Control Center setup will start shortly after.
A dialog box will indicate the install progress.

6.Click Finish to restart your computer.

If it still doesn't work continue below
7.Device manager=> have disk => you pick location
8.Select the Driver location which should be C:\ATI\Driver Folder\Driver

retest dxdiag and let me know if it works

question

on the add/remove programs, there are things on it called Catalyst Control Center Graphics Lights ..and other ones and ones like "ccc-core-static" it says used rarely, but I can't uninstall them...do I have to get rid of those some how? I uninstalled the ATI Software thing.

when I looked on add/remove programs, there are programs or something called Catalyst Control Center Graphics Lights and other ones like that but all it says is used rarely and there is no remove/change option, and there are ones like "ccc-core-static" it says used rarely, but I can't remove those either...I uninstalled anything that said ATI, but I thought I might of had to get rid of those catalyst ones too but there is no option for it. I don't know if that matters.

first hit ctrl+alt+del
if any of those files listed are running under processes -> hit end process then go back and try to uninstall, if that isn;t the case and you used the uninstall utility from step 2 try going to

start>program files> accessories> windows explorer > folder options>show hidden files

then go to start> find or search (i cant remember what it is on xp) and type in the ones that you cant remove ->hopefully they are all in the same folder and you can just right click the folder and select delete

go to control panel -> device manager what does it say under Display Adapters

*something doesn't add up it only took you 6 minutes to go from tyring to delete ATI files to having the rest of the instructions completed with reboot

Because when I tried to uninstall those catalyst files in add/remove I searched and a couple of things were found and i got rid of them, but when I went to add/remove those files whatever they are were still there, it didn't find them, and i did the whole "show hidden files" but it didn't get rid of them.

"first hit ctrl+alt+del
if any of those files listed are running under processes.." I didn't see that till right now, I just checked, I'm not sure what they would be called but I'm pretty sure they aren't running anyway.

When I install ATI...there are 3 options on that site, which one do I install? ...I'm going to retry that, I may have did it wrong.

the first one if you just want driver - the second one if you want the catalyst control center for changing setting

I would go with the 2nd one, but it doesn't matter as long as you DONT go with the 3rd

This is catalyst 7.7 drivers, you have an AGP card and the newer drivers wont support your card, so make sure you get the drivers through my link and dont update them

Is there a way to go back before I downloaded it? Like system restore? Or do I have to manually uninstall the ATI thing I just downloaded.

I have drive cleaner thing...will that get rid of it?

I already did, because I wanted to start over so I deleted ATI things.
I downloaded the link you posted, when the computer rebooted, there is a pop up that comes up a bunch of times and it says "found new hardware video compatable (vga)" or something, but then a pop up comes and says something about the hardware not working, and then a window pop up that says "No ATI graphics driver is installed, or the ATI driver is not functioning properly. Please install the ATI driver appropriate for your ATI hardware"

^ that was after I installed the link up above.

If it does that again follow step 7 and step 8

If it still doesn't work continue below
7.Device manager=> have disk=> you pick the location
8.Select the Driver location which should be C:\ATI\Driver Folder\Driver

Ok, well it found the hardware now. There is still something wrong with directX though, should I reinstall directx?

in diagnostic tools, under the systems tab it says Directx Version: Not Found

Go back to control panel > device manager > display adapter > properties

What does it say under driver

I don't see how Directx9.0c could have been uninstalled but it couldn't hurt to try reinstalling it

ATI Radeon 9550
ATI Radeon Secondary

oops..thats what it says right under it...when I click properties there isn't anything its just a box that says "Display Adapters" with nothing under it.

I'm going to try to reinstall directx now.

When I install directx it doesn't let me...this pops up

"an internal system error occurred.
Please refer to DXerror.log and DirectX.log in your Windows folder to determine problem."

* that says

"This device is working properly.

If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter."

Under "driver" it says things and then it says "driver details" "update" "roll back" "uninstall"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back