Games freeze and crash with weird colours on screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

usetheforce7

recently my graphics card seems to be having problems, because when ever i run a game and actually start playing the game freezes and crashes, wit those weird out colours spreading accros the screen. any ideas would help?

system specs:

amd athlon 64bit 3000+
512mb ram
256mb ati radeon 9550
80gb seagate barracuda

Edit: Please use proper thread titles from now on. Thanks.

Do the weird color patterns disappear after you quit the game you were trying to play? How do you manage to get rid of the weird colors spreading across the screen?

Make sure you have the latest Radeon Catalyst driver for your graphics card.

Here are the newest drivers for your video card for Windows XP Pro/Home:
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/radeonx-xp.html

Click on the "Installation Instructions" on that page if you need them.

Make sure you uninstall the previous ones first. Keep us posted!

i think its something to do with being unable to render a 3d image so the screen go blurry with those colours. I already have reinstalled new drivers from the ATI website. I still have the problem, occasionaly the catalyst would use vpu restore. I have no idea what caused it because before it was fine

Can be heat problem, Could be PSU ,,

Make sure you have proper cooling ,,

What are you temps ? GPU ,, CPU ??

also driver cleaner pro in safe mode,

install official drivers ,

As previously said, check your video card's temperature. You can use Everest Home Edition to check it out.

And also take a look at your PSU (power supply). How many amperes (a) does it have on the +12V rail (or rails)? That info should be located on the PSU's sticker.

Regards :wave:

the temps r as follows:

CPU: 38c
HD: 46c

cooling fan
CPU: 3516 rpm

voltage values
cpu core: 1.41V
+3.3V: 3.23V
+12V: 11.84V
VBAT battery: 3.09V
DIMM: 2.54V

Ok first off your hard drive is way way too hot, The life of the drive is going to be shortened. That is a idle temp too, probably goes to 50c and beyond on full load,

Your cpu temp is fine, you mite try increasing cpu voltage to gain stability,

wolfram said:
And also take a look at your PSU (power supply). How many amperes (a) does it have on the +12V rail (or rails)? That info should be located on the PSU's sticker.

Did you check that?

BTW, don't increase the CPU voltage. It will make it run hotter. It is completely unnecessary to do that, and increasing the CPU voltage can reduce your CPU's lifespan.

That should be enough for a 9550 card.
What about the Radeon's temperature? Does the card have a fan on it? Is it spinning?

Also, you should clean the whole computer with a can of compressed air. Clean all the fans, the PSU, the heatsinks and the mobo.
That could help :)

Is the card seated properly, with nothing touching it? Did you do anything to the card like change the drivers before this all happened?

nothing is touching it, i cleaned the whole pc today, the card has its own fan that is working...could it be the screens fault perhaps?. like a instability with the colours displayed

usetheforce7 said:
nothing is touching it, i cleaned the whole pc today, the card has its own fan that is working...could it be the screens fault perhaps?. like a instability with the colours displayed

I doubt it if the monitor works fine when you aren't playing games.

well their are like lines of something that looks the screen is fluctuating, like when it displays some colours u can see those greenish lines appear and flicker

You could try another monitor, but I don't think that the monitor is faulty. Try removing your card, resetting your BIOS (remove the coin-shaped battery for 3-4 minutes)and try again. If your mobo has an onboard video card, try it out.

It could be a dying/defective card as well. I would try another video card in your computer and then see what happens, or put that video card in another computer and see if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back