games freezing on high settings on my new pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge1991

hi i just built my new pc and every part is new but i have a problem my specs are amd 64 3400, 1024 ram, 120 gig hard drive, asus k8v se delux motherboard, and a geforce 6600 gt. my problem is i just bought some games battlefield 2 and farcry i should be able to play both on high settings but they freeze after about 10 or 15 min farcry does it more often the battlefield does anyone know whats wrong

ensure you have all the latest device drivers and game patches. problems as you described are often caused by one or more parts of a computer overheating during demanding apps. do you have a way of monitoring your cpu, chipset, or gpu temps? download and run prime95. run a turture test using the "in place fft" options and reply if the box ran successfully for about half an hour.

o have downloaded all the patches for farcry abut not for battlefield since ea posted it was unstable on their website my motherboard came with a monitoring program and my cpu temp is usually aroun 45 C and my motherboard temp is 35 C ill search for the prime95

i downloaded prime and im now running the test ill post back here in a hgalf hour as you said thanx

i ran prime95 for half and hour and it found no errors or anything its a brand new computer i just built it my video card is a chaintek 660 gt and i heard that this brand heats up the most of all the 6600 gt cards is there anyway of cooling my video card

srry for double post

your computer passing the prime 95 test rules out the cpu, motherboard, psu, and ram from your list of suspects. the next one is your video card. try running said games with the side panel off, perhaps using a table fan to blow air directly on the video card. let us know how long it runs and how you set it up.

i took off the side panel and had a table fan blow towards the videocard the game still only ran for about 10 mins and then froze again i bought some artic silver but only put it on my cpu but i didnt see any improvment the video card must be the issue can i put the artic silver on my videocard and if so how thanx in advance

it seems highly likely that your video card's gpu is overheating. you can either assume this is the case and replace the heatsink with a better one (using said thermal compound) or swap it out with another video card what can handle said games. if you don't have the parts, a local pc repair shop should be able to get your problem straightened out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back