Games in DVD Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloodRaven

ok, so ive been hearing this for a long time that games will soon be on dvds. and if there isnt, then game developers should really start thinking about it very soon because i dont know about you but im getting very annoyed with the getting a new game and it takes 4 or 5 cds to install it when you only really need 1 dvd to do the same job. besides just about every one that owns a computer now has a dvd player that would play the games. im hoping doom3 and hl2 will be on a dvd format. what do you think?

i think Farcry is on DVD but not in the US. Metal Gear Solid (some sequel) was on DVD for PC but nobody bought it because it was way too linear and boring.

I would love to see games on DVD I think it would make playing & installing them much or convenient. Like BloodRaven said most people who play PC games are going to have a DVD player, they are pretty much standard on PC's today

Just my .02

Many new multi-CD games are on DVD format... But there is always a CD version too. This is probably the way it will be for the next year or two while developers make the shift from CD to DVD.

One game I wish would have come on a DVD would be XIII. Came with 4 disks and as you progress through the game you need to switch out cd's.

Originally posted by Supra
One game I wish would have come on a DVD would be XIII. Came with 4 disks and as you progress through the game you need to switch out cd's.

Something I like to do with games I buy is use a no-cd patch. Even though I own the real CD, I'd rather not bother with digging through my software for the other CDs. ;)

I have also used no-CD patches on many games that required the cd to play but XIII was the only game that had problems when I did. Textures in levels would be missing and all characters were completely black(no skins). The game never crashed from it which I did think was kind of wierd. There may be more working no-CD patches out for the game now but when I first got the game I only found one and it really made the game unplayable.

DeusEx2:Invisible War comes on DVD.
I think all games that come on 2 or more CDs should be on DVD. I mean the price we pay for them, and the price of DVDs now, even though the industrial process of producing DVDs isn't quite the same as us burning DVD-Rs at home it can't be that expense anymore.

At least UT2k4 comes in a DVD edition.

It's either that, or 6 cd's, so I guess they had no choice.
But alas they were sold out for DVD's when I bought mine :(

I'd like to have games in DVD format too (PC games, PanicX ;)), but it's difficult to find them in stores. They might have a DVD jewel case but inside there are normal CDs, usually more than two.

I think the reason is still the "lowest common denominator" approach - DVD drives can read CDs but CD drives can't read DVDs.

Originally posted by PanicX
All my PS2 games are on DVD.....

Actually PanicX - unless you only have a couple games I am pretty sure some of your PS2 games are on CD. Not all PS2 games are on DVD media.

My unreal tornament 2004 is in DVD format, just one disk, isnt it somthing like 5 disks in america? its a big game, 5 gigs of hard drive space it needs.

No, actually we're talking about putting GAMES on DVDs. Anyways, Xboxes are so much like computers they might as well be included.

What's also nice on DVDs is Collector Edition of certain games like Baldur's Gate 2.

Morrowind has a collector edition containing the original game, the editor & the two extensions. I do believe it's still in CD format.:dead:

ok xbox is suck a Disgrace its name should not even be spoken. i mean come on if your going to buy an xbox why not get an extra hundred bucks and get a computer. but yeah if you want to be a true gamer, stick to the pc games. and buy them on dvd format

I have an Xbox & a PC for gaming am I not a true Gammer? I prefer to play diffrent types of games on each platform e.g sports games on my Xbox with my buddies & FPS online with my PC:D

Originally posted by BloodRaven
ok xbox is suck a Disgrace its name should not even be spoken. i mean come on if your going to buy an xbox why not get an extra hundred bucks and get a computer. but yeah if you want to be a true gamer, stick to the pc games. and buy them on dvd format

Hey an xbox is fast fun, normally no worry of it crashing...I personally like the xbox

I have more consoles than you can shake a stick at. I also have at least that many PCs. Believe you me - I am a gamer.

I'm split:dead:...I think that if you're a true gamer you'll want to use as many controllers and consoles as you can. However, I personally think that I will stick with my computer. This new game with the giant 3 part controller (can't remeber the game) is pretty cool though...If they keep releasing innovative games like that I may just get an XBox.

PS2/Xbox with controllers has its place. Multiplayer sports games, platformer types and fighting games.
Its a more social gaming platform in terms of offline gaming. A couple of beers and some mates sitting round the TV beating each other up on screen :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back