Games Keep freezing!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon_Gold

I have a problem that I don't know is related to this forum, but it might be for all I know, so here goes. I just built a new PC, all top of the range etc etc and I got latest drivers for graphics and sound card from cover DVD of PC Zone magazine. When I install a game (so far I tried Neverwinter Nights, AvP2, MOHAA and Postal 2 ) I can play it for between 5 and 60 seconds before it just freezes. Nothing happens and I have to reset PC. I have Windows XP Pro with no patches, straight out of the box. Do you think/could you reccomend a course of action for me, as I built this PC with the sole purpose of playing games. If XP Pro is no good, what OS is best for gaming?

Cheers for any help.

One thing you might check is to make sure your graphics card is getting cooled properly, or it is seated in the AGP slot correctly. If it starts to overheat during gaming it could cause this lockup.

System specifications could be useful. Please post them in here or your profile ;)

And welcome to Techspot.... :D

Indeed~ 1274 is right, might be the overheating =)

Gamer worst nightmare is in the middle of a battle the whole game/system freeze up.

I die one time when my system freeze up when I was about do an windstrike to an dark succubus, later I log back in I was moaning then drop on the ground >.<
Comp freeze but internet connection still active.

I have to rearrange the fan by some of those ppl advice that the bottom one fan inhale air and the top exhale air out, lie the computer on the ground for max coolest i guess.

Ah now im not sure if heat, my comp work smooth til I visit some wardz site then bam! freeze =/

Like poertner already said, it's most likely due to overheating.
Either the graphic card itself or the CPU.
Win XP Pro should run all the games you mentioned just fine.

I'm going to go against the grain here, and suggest that if he has an nVidia card its doing that infinite loop error. That problem is kind of rare now because people have new drivers and done windows update and such. But he said its XP Pro with no patches.
My suggestion if you have an nvidia card: Update your video card drivers, update windows through microsoft.windowsupdate.com and also do a search on the forums for "Infinite Loop".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back