Games self-resets when playing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, first of all i would like to say that i'm new to this forum.

I've had a problem when playing games for awhile now.
The problem is that the games always self-resets (by that, i mean that the whole computer restarts).
This can happen after i've played for 5 minutes or 40 minutes, or even more.
I guess this has got something to do with Windows XP Professional in combination with my graphics card; Asus AGP-V7700 Pro.

I have downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia and i have also tried to shut down all other programs in the background (even ZoneAlarm). This only happens when playing 3D games, such as Unreal Tournament, Ghost Recon, Deus Ex.

The game works perfectly until it restarts (i have many FPS', and it doesn't slow down at any point).
I have read at www.geforcefaq.com and read the "Tweaking guide to Deus Ex", but that doesn't help it from self-restarting.

I never had this problem when i used Windows 98 or Windows 2000.

I would be very happy if any of you could solve this problem, here is my computer specs:

AMD Athlon 800mhz
452 MB RAM
ASUS Agp-V7700 Pro
Windows XP Professional

Thanks for the help!

And, i should've used the search engine.
I hope to fix this problem as soon as possible.

I assume your Asus card is Nvidia based. If so, try the 23.11 drivers, or 23.12. 23.11's are stable for me. Also, don't overclock your card.

If that's not it, I would suspect your PSU or ram going south.

Try removing some RAM chips, that's what worked for me. I had to drop from 512Mb to 128 before I eliminated the infinite loop error. Not ideal, I know, but it may work for you, too.

Have you guys ever thought that it may be because of heat problems?

Ummm he says he can play for 40 min or more. Makes me think it's not a heat issue. Who knows 4 sure.

I will reply to this topic on Thursday.
The situation is: my brother needs the RAM to make a 3D picture which needs to finished by Thursday (the render is going faster with more RAM, of course). I now have 450mb RAM, i think, and it will drop to 256mb RAM, if that will solve the problem.
I will also try to use the drivers i've downloaded (23.11)

So until then, i won't play, but i'll reply to this topic on Thursday or Friday, as i said.

And i don't think this has got to do with the heating fan, it seems to work.

My games are finally working. I dropped from 448mb RAM to 256.

The problem was not in the fan nor the cooling system (or even the NVIDIA drivers). Now, when everything is working i would like to thank you: thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back