gaming modem settings for XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have XP Pro and would like to know if anyone has come up with a list of settings for improving your connection/stability while gaming online.

Troy

Thanks, but...

I've read that already. It is really not geared towards gaming and leaves a lot of information out. XP has a lot more settings to be played with.

Also, what I'm looking for is some information on what to cut off that might be running in the back ground. Someone told me that XP has an atomic clock that updates itself every 15 minutes if your connected online and this may degrade my connection stability.

Thanks for the help!

Troy

you can hunt around at speedguide.net and see if there is anything geared to dial up modems.

Internet Time

Originally posted by Troy
Also, what I'm looking for is some information on what to cut off that might be running in the back ground. Someone told me that XP has an atomic clock that updates itself every 15 minutes if your connected online and this may degrade my connection stability.

To disable time synchronization over the internet, go to your taskbar and double click on your clock. This will bring up your Date and Time properties. From there click on the Internet Time tab on the far right and clear the checkbox for "Automatically synchronize with an internet time server". Done and done.

As far as gaming specific modem tweaks go, there's a mixed bag of information out there. What modem/chipset do you have? If you're interested, I can dig up some links and other info for you to look over and try out.

Re: Thanks, but...

Someone told me that XP has an atomic clock that updates itself every 15 minutes if your connected online and this may degrade my connection stability.

Thanks for the help!

Troy

Actually, I think it only updates every 7 days, which is pretty far from 15 minutes. So it doesn't necessarily pose a threat.

I don't think that clock works by default either. The Windows.time server never works for me, although the .gov one does. So be default, I doubt it even works.

You may want to disable some net related services, such as Windows Update, QOS packet scheduler and the Windows Time feature in the Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services panel.

Re: Re: Thanks, but...

Originally posted by Rick
I don't think that clock works by default either. The Windows.time server never works for me, although the .gov one does. So be default, I doubt it even works.
Neither of them work for me. And I thought it was 5 days? oh well 7 actually makes more sense than 5.

Analog...

I would like to see a list of modem tweaks, yes!
I have an external modem, Zoom with lucent chipset.

thanks,

Troy

Re: Thanks, but...

I've read that already. It is really not geared towards gaming and leaves a lot of information out. XP has a lot more settings to be played with.

Just out of interest exactly what IS left out? (That isn't covered in the services guide for example, e.g. disabling the clocks auto-synchronisation).
I wouldn't say that windows time updating "degrades connection stability", I mean thats like saying don't browse internet after connecting as that can cause instability.

Anyway though, still interested in knowing what you feel is left out. Disabling QoS does nothing BTW (Covered in services guide)

Thomas

I probably should have said it was more of the unknown rather than "whats left out." I just took in the fact that XP has so much more over windows98 that there was going to be more "stuff" to turn off or turn on.

I'm probably dreaming someone will know XP in this field that can tell me how to optimize my connection. If this is all there is then so be it, I just want to know thats all.

thanks,

Troy

Better late than never

Here's a couple of general 56k sites you might want to look over in order to get the most out of your connection:

56k.com

Modemsite.com

Neither of them are gaming or XP specific, but they both contain a lot of useful information, troubleshooting guides, init string info, etc. You might also want to have a look through their forums, as someone there might have the information you're looking for.

Here's a guide that I came across over at the TweakXP forums a while back. This is why I brought up the "mixed bag" comment in my earlier post, because some will tell you that this won't do anything, some swear by it, and still others say it will make things worse. Personally, I say that if you're interested in it, try it and see, just make the proper backups beforehand in case it doesn't work out.

In most online games I ping in the mid to upper 100's myself (using a SupraExpress 56e), and that's from setting things up much the same way as the guide here at 3DS outlines. Frankly, that's about as good as I'm going to get until a broadband connection is available where I live.

Hope this helps.

Re: Thomas

I probably should have said it was more of the unknown rather than "whats left out." I just took in the fact that XP has so much more over windows98 that there was going to be more "stuff" to turn off or turn on.

I'm probably dreaming someone will know XP in this field that can tell me how to optimize my connection. If this is all there is then so be it, I just want to know thats all.

thanks,

Troy
Ahh right. No, Windows NT (2000, XP, NT 4, etc.) are all far more limited settings/options wise than Windows 9x. If you read the XP modem guide & services guide then you should have covered everything you'll need for your internet connection. Other than that the only thing to do is adjust the rate settings or whatever else your particular game may have.
There's nothing important left out of the guide, or at least nothing that would affect speed/stability.

BTW - As regards that other guide, on some of the points;

7. The system.ini is there for compatibility, I don't think its actually used at all, so that Modem COM port buffer thing is just pointless.
10. Uninstalling/Disabling QoS has no effect.
11. In XP go to Folder options & in the View tab untick "Automatically search for network folders and printers" - same thing but far simpler than doing it in the registry.
15. Wouldn't bother. A complete waste of time. The modem uses so little of any bus bandwidth available that there's no point giving its IRQ a greater priority.

Re: Re: Thomas

Originally posted by 3DSThomas

There's nothing important left out of the guide, or at least nothing that would affect speed/stability.

Apart from maybe phone up your phone company and harrass them into improving the quality of your line.;)

Couple of questions

I have been a TRIBES fan since day one, the glory days of DSL are gone because I moved to an area where it aint.

Anyway I have worked just about every tweak out there, for ME and now Im on to XP.

XP seems to have fixed quite a bit, as my connection off the bat with no tweaks was almost as good as the fine tuning I had done to my ME settings. Like the gentleman above said above if you can get a few good servers coming in at about 150 with NO PACKET loss, thats all your going to get. In game it really wont get much better. One of the best things to do if you have packet loss is to restrict your speed. Just create a connection for gaming and surfing, ie. one with IP comp off, and one on etc. Use some logic.

I do have a couple of questions I have yet to resolve. I have a usr pci hardware modem(performance pro), when I used ME I used STAC compression and it seemed to do me right. My question is what really is better if you have a "hardware modem(granted it is pci). All other things being good, clean line 49 to 48 connect sped etc, should you use software or hardware compression. A really good tweak site http://www.optimizing.net/

contradicts what almost every GAME TWEAK article says. They all recomend STAC or software compression. STAC is not available in XP, or at least I dont know how to enable it. Here is what he says- on this page http://www.optimizing.net/html/pingfaq.htm

Q.
Should I enable Stac and/or software compression?
A.
I do not recommend enabling any kind of software compression no matter how fast your computer happens to be if your connection device is capable of performing hardware based compression. When you enable software compression you force your computer to perform a redundant task--a quality modem is already designed for and capable of handling compression tasks. Remember, there is a limit to how much any type of data can be compressed no matter what compression scheme is being used... If you do decide to use CPU cycles to perform a function the modem can readily handle, its entirely up to you, but if you use a PCI or WinModem in addition to software compression, I strongly urge you to reconsider. By the way, Stac compression only works when connecting to certain ISPs, your ISP may not even support it, ask them before you waste your time.

So what do you think?

Two more questions, lol. In my modem setup on the advanced tab there are a bunch of telephonys listed. 6 of them to be exact. Do I need any of them, I game and surf, thats it.

Last what are your thoughts on LCP and MULTILINK, the only reason I asked is because I really notice no change either way.

that is all

:eek: :eek:

Re: Couple of questions

Originally posted by YadaYadaYada
I do have a couple of questions I have yet to resolve. I have a usr pci hardware modem(performance pro), when I used ME I used STAC compression and it seemed to do me right. My question is what really is better if you have a "hardware modem(granted it is pci). All other things being good, clean line 49 to 48 connect sped etc, should you use software or hardware compression. A really good tweak site http://www.optimizing.net/

contradicts what almost every GAME TWEAK article says. They all recomend STAC or software compression. STAC is not available in XP, or at least I dont know how to enable it. Here is what he says- on this page http://www.optimizing.net/html/pingfaq.htm

So what do you think?

Two more questions, lol. In my modem setup on the advanced tab there are a bunch of telephonys listed. 6 of them to be exact. Do I need any of them, I game and surf, thats it.

Last what are your thoughts on LCP and MULTILINK, the only reason I asked is because I really notice no change either way.

that is all
Covered in the XP modem guide, heh.
http://www.3dspotlight.com/tweaks/winxp_modem/

If youre modem supports hardware compression then theres NO reason to disable it altogether & use software instead (bar disabling the outdated components as discussed in the guide).
Using software compression is like buying a new graphics card & running your games in software rendering. Your hardware can do it, why waste CPU on doing the same thing.
LCP & Multi-link don't affect performance. As from the guide;

"Enable LCP extensions. LCP (Link Control Protocol) extensions provide a way of establishing, configuring, maintaining, & terminating a PPP connection. You should leave this setting Ticked unless you experiencing problems connecting to your ISP as a result of its enabling.

Enable software compression. Tick this setting to enable software (CPU) data compression for your connection. This will provide faster uploads/downloads depending on the data which is getting compressed. Should you have a Modem which can performance compression in hardware then I’d recommend you leave this setting Unticked & allow the Modem to perform any data compression – this should improve system performance slightly as the CPU will not be required to perform a task which can be done on separate, dedicated, hardware. Those would Winmodems should Tick this for optimal upload/download speeds, albeit it at the cost of some CPU cycles.

Negotiate multi-link for single link connections. You can leave this setting Tick unless you experience problems connecting to your ISP (Error code 733 according to Microsoft), in which case Untick this."

You see thats what I dont get

When I leave Hardware compression on, and untick software comp my throughput drops in NETMEDIC. I get a throughput of up to 120 to 130 (comp rate 2x to 3x) with software compression.

When I use hardware it will run a steady 48 k.

Why would this be.

Re: You see thats what I dont get

Originally posted by YadaYadaYada
When I leave Hardware compression on, and untick software comp my throughput drops in NETMEDIC. I get a throughput of up to 120 to 130 (comp rate 2x to 3x) with software compression.

When I use hardware it will run a steady 48 k.

Why would this be.
Dunno, I don't use any modem optimizer or diagnostic programs. Wouldn't rely on that 1 thing to determine whether it works or not though for similar reasons to why I won't use 3d mark

You should get NETMEDIC ...

...if you are benchmarking, want to know slowest sites, servers etc.

Its unobtusive and doesnt change any reg settings, oh yeah its free.

Available vitalsigns.com I think.

It is worth a look.

:grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back