Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeEye

Help From PC Gamers out there.
What custom built gaming Pc should i buy. I have choices from Thunderbox PC, alien ware, Axoline etc. I see that Thunder box is the cheapest for the same hardware. I want a PC with enough power to run most first-person shooter games. Unreal and the such. Also, will i want an AMD processor or the new Intel processor. My cash limit is 3 grand. I could also built one myself but i really dont have the time these days. One more question, should i buy a tower or a labtop. Im open for all opinion.
I am currently using a prebuilt pc with some good upgrades.

Since we don't know where you are what are you limited to? $3000, £3000, €3000?
The main price difference you will find with Custom built systems is the support. I believe Alienware have quite a good support and helpline service but if your not bothered about support and can handle maintainence etc then I would be tempted to go with the cheapest option. Unless you really need the mobility offered by a laptop go for a desktop. You can usually get a higher spec desktop for your money and can always upgrade it a bit more easily than a laptop which results in it having a slightly longer lifespan :D

IMHO your best bet is go for the price if everything is equal. But stick with a desktop (be it tower or whatever) as it'll be easier to upgrade in the future if need be (and it always does).

But the most important thing is the quality of the pieces. Stay away from any vid cards that are LE or SE...they can be crippled. If you've got the money for it (and it sounds like you do) go for a Gig of RAM. I'm not big on large hard drives....I run dual 40's myself and it's more than enough.

Have fun with it! :grinthumb

edit: Dang it...Arris beat me to it. :p

AlienWare tech support is good via alien autopsy, but their customer service sucks- Ive been waiting forever for the 2004 media center update.

Thanx for the tip. I already order my computer from ThunderboxPc.com. Just read my bio to find out what is in my new Pc. Thanx for the help.

Originally posted by SnakeEye
Thanx for the tip. I already order my computer from ThunderboxPc.com. Just read my bio to find out what is in my new Pc. Thanx for the help.

Liquid cooling? Its a water cooled system? Nice.
And what model of Radeon 256mb card is it?
I hope its a X800 :D

It doesn't take much time to build one. The first time I built one, it took 2 hours. Now, I'm a lot faster. The amount you can save by building it yourself is worth the time you could spend building one.

Originally posted by smtkr
It doesn't take much time to build one. The first time I built one, it took 2 hours. Now, I'm a lot faster. The amount you can save by building it yourself is worth the time you could spend building one.

Agreed, but if you buy a name brand, Dell, ,AlienWare, Falcon, etc. You're paying for the warranty and service more than the parts. I think only people confident in their ability to make a stable gaming machine that runs for years go out of their way to never buy a 'name brand' PC again. I know I don't :grinthumb

i think

Alienware is badass. Can't wait to need ALX. Everything looks weak by comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back