Gateway 500X Dual Channel Crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatman05

Hey guys. I have a conundrum on my hands..The system I'm talking about is a Gateway 500X OEM Computer with the following specifications:

Intel La Crosse D865GLC Motherboard /w i865 chipset
Intel P4 HT Processor @ 3.06gHz stock speed
512 MB PC2700 Samsung Memory (2x256MB) /w Dual channel and PAT enabled by default
Timings: 2.5-3-3-7 @ DDR-333 stock
Western Digital ATA-100 120GB HDD
LG DVD-RAM Drive 24x16x32 CD
4x2.4x12 DVD
3X DVD-Ram
SoundMAX Digital Audio
Intel 865GL integrated graphics
Intel Pro/100 VE NIC
Windows XP Home /w SP2

The problem is, this system keeps crashing for no apparent reason. It could be running IE7 at idle and have a STOP error. I've pinpointed the problem to the Dual Channel memory config. Unfortunately, if I disable Dual channel, I lose almost 10FPS of performance in Sonic Heroes (from 40FPS CONST. to 30FPS CONST.) However, the stability issues disappear. What do I do?

Test your RAM using Memtest86...Your Intel on-board video is adding to your problem. Think about investing in a AGP or PCI video card

I had done a Memtest on in for about an hour and it showed no errors...So you say the Intel Integrated could be adding to the problem? Why is that? Lucky for me, this particular system comes with an AGP slot...How do I check the slot's version without putting a AGP card in there?

On-board video shares system memory, and it can't adequately run most common games smoothly. Another problem is that a motherboard in a Gateway or most store bought computers, is less than ideal for playing hi-end games without adding a good graphics card and at least 1 gig of system RAM.

"How do I check the slot's version without putting a AGP card in there?"

This slot will not be anything special. I wouldn't spend to much money on the card either. An AGP 4X or 8X would work

Thanks for the info. I still have stability trouble on this machine though. What do you suggest I do to improve stability?

It could be a heat issue. Open the case and run the computer. See if the instability disappears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back