Gateway Solo 1450 LCD issue - help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Gateway Solo 1450 laptop, several months ago the LCD started flickering when I moved it. Now the light has completely gone, it still starts up properly and everything is on the screen that is supposed to be there - just no light.

After contacting a few laptop repair places locally, I figured out that there was no way a woman would ever be able to get anything repaired without being totally ripped off!! minimum $550!!!

I did a bit of research and figured out the inverter may be the culprit. I took the screen apart and followed the directions for removing the inverter - BUT, when I pressed on the connector on the left hand side of the inverter, between the white inverter connector and the hinge (it looks like wires taped together with grey tape) the light came back on. I took my finger off, it went off again.

What is this bunch of wires taped together? is it related to the inverter? how can I fix it? (aside from jamming something in there to keep it pressed down and the light on) or do I just need to buy another 1450 for parts and switch out the screens?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Andi

what do you mean about "flickering" is it flickering of the brightness? or the image during flickering completely disappear? if first - so the problem is in the inverter board.
there ara 2 problems with inverter:
1 - problem with the voltage transformer(chort circuit)
2 - problem with the inverter's PWM-chip.
the easier way - is to buy a new inverter module.
the bunch of wires mean's following:
VCC(the current of inverter, may be 5 or 19V)
Backlight enable(comes from EC\KBC chip)
DIM - brightness(basically comes from videochip,but sometimes comes from EC\KBC, should be from 1.8v to 2.8v)
GND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back