Gearing this PC up for gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaroddog

Howdy all,
I've got a 6600GT video card coming in the mail to go with my Athlon XP 2800+ cpu and 512 MB of RAM. I've got a nice ATA WD hard drive (160 gigs with 8mb cache). I'm basically wanting to use this PC for gaming (which I did until my 9600XT bit the dust) until the M2 platform is widely available for my next upgrade. Is this possible? I don't want top notch settings, just good looking graphics at lower resolution settings (1024x768) for the newer games. I was thinking I would get another 512 mb of RAM for a total of 1 gig (I don't want to put a lot of money into DDR if DDR2 will be what my next platform uses). Would you agree? Otherwise, what do you think I'll need? Thanks.

For a machine to "hold you over" until you dish out for the M2, I'd say you're doing pretty good. 512mb of ram is a little whimpy though. I think on those specs you'd notice a pretty big difference with a Gig of ram.

I've run most new stuff fine on 768mb (512/256) so, might be an option if you dont want to fork out too much on DDR.

1 gig RAM and the 6600GT should be enough to run popular games such as COD2 and BF2 on low settings. The M2 isn't due until second quarter of this year I believe so that's only a few more months. Just hold on to what you have and save up for that new rig.

you definitly need 1 gb of ram, and look into ati's options for a good card, the x800gto is a good card and can in some cases out preform the 6600gt

Well, the 6600GT is already on it's way. I should have it on either Friday or Monday, so an x800GTO is out of the question (besides, it's quite a bit of a price jump for an agp version). I've only got 512 MB, not 1 GB, so I guess I was wondering if another 512 would be a worthwhile investment (about $42-43 shipped). I don't think I'll buy another system for at least another year. Also, are you telling me this system won't be adequate for running current games at medium settings? We'll just see about that. :suspiciou

You wont be able to play BF2 on medium settings unless you get another 512mb oof ram and you leve it at 800x600 res, BF2 is the most demmanding game out there not

The upgrade to 1gig of ram will help many games and your system will see benefits from it so it's worth the effort. Over 1gig only comes into play with REALLY modern games with ramped settings (i.e. like BF2 or EQ2 with a high-end graphics card like an X850/6800GT/7800GT).

While an XP 2800+ isn't the top of the line powerful CPU, it's no slouch either so it'll do pretty good in most games.

As far as "Modern" games- we've seen some real system crushers in the past year, so folks are talking mainly about those. Games like FEAR, Far Cry, QuakeIV, Battlefield2/Special Forces, Call of Duty 2, and Serious Sam 2. Even if you had a blank check at NewEgg (FX-55 dual-core cpu, dual 7800GTX's, 2 gig of ram, etc.etc.) you'd still see the system on it's knees by playing some of these in their Ultra or Maxed settings at higher resolutions with AA/AF... you can still play 'em on your rig nicely, but their written for the extra stuff for pushing really monstrous systems.

A 2800+, 1 gig of RAM and 6600GT is a great little entry level 3D system that'll play all the current Direct X 9.0 games. You may not be able to crank things up to their max, but you'll have a great little gaming rig there. :)

Entry level sounds fine. I built the whole thing for like $300-$350 a year ago. I fortunately got my problematic 9600xt replaced with a 6600GT for $27. Besides, I'll be upgrading to M2 once it hits the sweet spot in the market (that may be a while).

PCIE statemnet

the asus pcie extreem is a cheap and verry awsome card

ax300se/td

with the lastest ati drivers it leaves any nvidia card ive ever senn for dead !!!

Got the 6600GT on what was basically a trade in. My old 9600xt started flaking out, and since they didn't have a replacement for it, they gave me a refund of $106. I bought the 6600GT (which has a lifetime warranty on it if you buy a DX model from evgap) for $133. I came out smelling like a rose. :)

Rest assured, it wasn't with out hassle. First they sent me a downgrade instead (9600 PRO). Even though the refund of current market value was their policy, they tried to get around it until I pinned someone in management down about this issue. Oh, well... At least I've got a new even better card coming in the mail! :slurp: Anymore game recommendations? I think I'll check Guild Wars out, Wal-Mart here has it for 50 as opposed to the 40 shown on their website. Bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back