GeForce 3 ti 200 prolems w/ Fullscreen TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
The card works fine for display on the tv, except when I try to play a movie full screen. I get something like little horizontal lines on the screen, and the picture bleeds off the side of the screen. Any ideas?

Is the card plugged directly into the TV, or via a VCR.

If through a VCR then Macrovision will kick in, to stop DVD's etc. from being copied.

Hope this helps.

It sounds like you have a loose connection. Check all the plugs to make sure they are tight. Try wiggling the plugs while the dvd is playing to see if there is any change.

No, it goes directly from the s-video out, through a converter, to the component in on the tv. You think it could really be a loose connection? Sounds wierd because it only happens when I put a movie on full screen, it looks fine otherwise. And it's not a DVD, it's a DIVX, if thatmakes a difference.

It could be the difference. As you may know, Divx is at a lower quality than a DVD. You may want to try playing a DVD movie to see if that problem happens with DVD movies. If the problem doesn't occur when watching a DVD movie, then you'll know that the problem is only with Divx files.

There's nothing wrong with the DIVX files, they all work fine on the regular monitor. I was messing around with it, and I tried TV Tool. I doesn't help at all on the 800x600 resolution, but when I got down to 640x480 on the tv, I can get perfect fullscreen movies. Any idea why? And any suggestions how to get it to work on a higher resolution?

I'll take an educated (at least is should be) guess and say that your vid.card isnt' good enough...

There is a short version here, though not short by the usual definitions, it's short by those others I've encountered so far...

In short, your vid.card has a low end scan converter built in, and it does an ok job at 640*480...
The most basic, low-end scan converters usually provide support only for computer resolutions of 640 x 480 with a vertical refresh rate of 60 Hz. This is because this combination of resolution and refresh rate is mathematically easy to convert to a standard TV resolution. The number of pixels on both the computer and TV monitors are almost the same, and the TV refresh rate is just about half of the computer refresh rate. As of a few years ago, most PCs and Macs operated in 640 x 480 as a default setting. However, as computer applications have become more graphic intensive, including applications such as web-surfing, many people prefer to set their computers to higher display resolutions. In these cases, a scan converter that only supports resolutions of 640 x 480 will not suffice.

So when you try to use it at a higher resolution, the card isn't doing a good enough convertion, and you end up with the problems described...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back