GeForce 4 4400 BIOS and bootup question

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoodooHellfire

Hey all, last time I posted here, everyone was a great help, although I got the overwhelming feeling that people thought my system was underpowered (AMD 800MHz T-Bird 200FSB). Anyways. Question is this. I notice on bootup that my GeForce 4 4400 doesn't identify itself. My last 3 video cards (Voodoo 3 3000, Voodoo 5 5500, and GeForce 2 GTS Creative) all identified themselves prior to the memory test and POST. This card, a PNY Verto GeForce 4 4400 doesn't do that. Is this normal or did I possibly get a card that has a hightened sense of privacy? Also, AGP aperature size. Should it be set to match the amount of RAM on the card or what is the determining factor here? I have 512 MB SDRAM. I'd get more but I have a dual-boot ME/XP system and ME will through a fit if you put more than 512MB at it. So, anyways, two somewhat unrelated issues, but both surrounding the card. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

You should set your AGP apperture size to half your system memory ( 256 in your case ). As for the BootUp details, I have the same thing with my Hercules 3D Prophet III. It goes straight to CPU & Memory count. I don't mind since I actually save a few seconds in BootUp.:p

Thanks for the tip on the AGP aperature. What exactly does that do? Will it help with performance or is just something people know to do? Also, as far as the not identifying thing goes...I figured it had something to do with the industry trying to get faster boot times for systems so I wasn't too worried, but PNY's web site is about the lamest I have ever seen and no help at all. Thanks for the tips.

diagram.gif

Taken from the AGP Technology Overview @ http://developer.intel.com/technology/agp/toverview.htm

Today's 3D applications have a huge appetite for memory bandwidth. By providing a high memory bandwidth "fast lane" for graphics data, AGP enables the hardware-accelerated graphics controller to execute texture maps directly from system memory, instead of caching them in the relatively limited local video memory. It also helps speed the flow of decoded video from the CPU to the graphics controller.

It's basiclly data stored in your system memory that can be adressed directly by the AGP Card, relieving the local memory of the Video card.

I wouldnt worry too much about the bios issue as long as the card is working properly. Its probably something do to with PNY just not enabling that feature..There is a Bios Editor over at Guru3d.com that may help but I wouldnt mess around with it..

Do any of you have monitors that make loud, clicking noise when changing resolutions? It also happens during bootup when changing from one screen to the next; that's why I was thinking if I could edit the bios of my video card so it doesn't display the specs of my card during bootup and save me the clicking noise.

I believe the clicking noise is made by the relay.

Well Erwin, my monitor does not make a clicking sound on any of the situations that you stated. It also hasn't done that on any other monitors I've used.

It's a Sony Trinitron Flatscreen 21 inch monitor Max Settings: 1600 x 1200 Res, 32 Million Colors

:grinthumb

Dont worry about it Erwin...Its just the screen adjusting itself to the resolution. I used to have a NEC monitor that made the same noise when I changed resolutions and that was a great monitor. It never gave me an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back