GeForce 4 mx 440 - Trouble reading memory cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 6 in 1 media card reader that will only read memory cards right after rebooting the computer.

After the card reader has retrieved photos from memory card once, it will not recognize (read) card again until the computer is rebooted.

Can anyone help?

The following are the computer stats:

2.66 GHz Intel Pentium 4 Processor
512 MB Ram
120 GB Hard Drive
Nvidia GeForce 4 mx 440
AGB 8x Graphics card with 64 MB DDR Memory and TV-out

Thanks for looking.

Sounds like more of a problem with the card reader than the graphics card. Try reinstalling the card reader driver. Uninstall the driver first, restart and then reinstall the driver.

I'm not the sharpest computer guy, can you help me identify the driver that I need to replace?

While I'm in control panel, system, hardware, device manager (how do I identify the correct driver to remove?)

thanks,

Joey

You should be looking in the Add/Remove Programs icon, not the System>Device manager to actually uninstall the driver. If you uninstall from the device manager, you are uninstalling the hardware (not physically) from the system. Upon restarting, Windows will detect the "new" hardware and reinstall the existing driver to it. That said, you could do that first and see if it works. Just be sure there is no yellow question or exclamation marks next to the floppy controller or floppy drive in the device manager. If there is, a driver needs to be installed.

As far as uninstalling the driver itself in the Add/Remove Programs, I don't know for sure but see if you can find one that has the name of the drive in it or it might just say card reader driver. If you aren't sure or can't find it, maybe it was never installed and that's the cause of the problem. But don't uninstall the driver unless you have it to reinstall.

You could try just installing the driver without worrying about any older driver. Sometimes the driver installation process will recognize the driver is already installed and will offer to uninstall it. If so, you just reinstall it afterward. Make a note of what programs are in your installed programs list and after installing the driver look again to find the new one. Then you'll know what it is for next time.

I hope I wasn't too confusing.

Mailpup,

Thanks for the direction you provided. There was a Yellow Exclamation mark next to the USB Mass Storage Device.

I tried updating the driver from Device Manager and received a message stating that the driver could not be updated, and to shut-down machine and unplug device and reboot.

I done as stated above and intended on updating the driver from the add/remove programs section, however, after doing the unplug and reboot, everything appears to be working properly at this time.

Again, thanks for the direction.

Joey Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back