Geforce 4 MX440 questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherokee94

Hello.

I´m new in this forum

Mi brother has a Chaintech geforce 4 mx440 AGP with default CD drivers, (30.82 or something like that), I would like to know if there are some new and better drivers in performance for his videocard.

I have downloaded detonator 44.03 from guru3d.com, but not installed yet because I´m looking for some suggestions, help. etc.

His OS is windows XP Pro, Intel Pentium IV 1.6MHZ, 256MB RAM Geforce 4 MX 440 AGP 64MB with stock cooling and not overclocked, on board sound, dont know the mobo.

the second question is:
His video card is supposed to be 64MB , when he start his machine appear the videocard model, bios, and memory (64Mb)but inside display&adapter properties the Nvidia geforce 4 mx 440 tab states only 32MB... why??

Do i need to install newest drivers?, I have uninstalled the onboard video drivers (Savage S3 32MB).

Best regards for all.

Thanks

Did the new card take over automatically, without having to disable the old in the bios? Double-check that so it's not filtering resources to that card.

Hello Masque

I have installed the drivers without removing the onboard drivers first, also I have checked the BIOS, and there is nothing about disable the onboard video card, I guess it should be done automatically when the AGP detects a card in the slot.

Thanks

I suggest you install the latest 4x.xx detanator drivers. Drivers that come with video cards maybe be buggy at times.

Yes I have installed 44.03, they are workin´fine.

I´m just continue getting 32 MB on his geforce 4, it supposed to be 64Mb.

His Mobo is M925, Windows Xp pro, I have checked Bios, hardware settings, and it looks ok.

Any suggestion?

What does it say about the video card at computer startup? Video card info is the first thing you see.

Put the card in another omputer and see how much memory it reports there.

Take the card back to shop.

Startup says 64MB, I haven´t tried in another computer yet, maybe later.

Also when looking on the device profile it says that is on PCI number 1, it should be AGP!.

BIOS is set to AGP with 4x and 64Mb of aperture size.

In your BIOS, on the PCI/Plug and Play Setup Page, you will find a setting: Primary Graphics Adapter. Make sure it is set to AGP.
The AGP default setting still lets the onboard display work and allows the use of a second display card installed in an AGP slot.
Under: Allocate IRQ for PCI VGA, set this to NO.

Check in WinXP under device-manager if you can disable/unload the PCI-VGA card and also check that the AGP-card is listed and active.

There seem to be no jumpers or other BIOS-settings to disable the onboard graphics.

Yes yesterday I was in the BIOS and I have set AGP as primary graphics adapter, 4x and 64Mb as aperture size

--Under: Allocate IRQ for PCI VGA, set this to NO.-- I have checked that and is disabled.

Under device manager I have just enabled the Geforce 4 MX440 without any conflict, there is no other videocard.

yesterday when I was uninstalling the old detonator drivers, also used detonator R.I.P to remove any remain, I reboot and after windows start I got and evgaservice on the device manager, I was trying to change the display adapter to a VGA standard but I was unable to do that, I did not found how to change the driver, then I reboot again and finally I have installed the detonator 44.03 and looks fine but only getting 32Mb of memory.

Did I make any mistake?, I have made above changes to BIOS just after install the new drivers.

Also checked the Mobo but there isn´t any video jumper.

Well hope someone can help me.

Thanks!

PD. Maybe the card is just 32MB, but is very strange because the box states 64MB very clearly!

Go to this website:
http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php
and download Aida32 personal or enterprise in the ZIP-file.
After D/L unzip this file into its own directory and double-click on AIDA32.EXE.
Go to Display/Windows Video, where you will find the Memory Size and other card-information.

Then report back what you find. Good luck

Hello realblackstuff

This is the AIDA32 report of my windows Video, is in spanish, so I hope you can figure out, as you can see the memory is just 32MB.

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

Propiedades de la tarjeta gráfica
Descripción del dispositivo NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
identificación de la tarjeta GeForce4 MX 440
Identificación de la BIOS Version 4.17.00.52.00
Tipo de circuito GeForce4 MX 440
Tipo de DAC Integrated RAMDAC
Controladores instalados nv4_disp (6.14.10.4403 - nVIDIA Detonator 44.03)
Tamaño de la memoria 32 MB

Fabricante de la tarjeta gráfica
Nombre de la empresa NVIDIA Corporation
Información sobre el producto http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=products
Descargar el controlador http://www.nvidia.com/drivers

My last hope is try this video card in another computer, then I will report, for now; I dont know what to do anymore.

Thanks

Does it say anywhere on the card itself how much ram there is? They might have made a mistake in shipping & packed a 32mb card instead.
But...that wouldnt explain why it shows 64mb on the boot screen.

Is the card functioning properly?

I have heard of problems similar to this such as DirectX not recognizing all of the RAM in certain video cards.

Make sure you have DirectX 9.0b and that you have the latest drivers from NVIDIA's website, which are 53.03 if I recall correctly.

Hello siggers and tripleione

Yes siggers: it says 64Mb DDR, and the serial number is the same of the box, the box also says 64MB, and I think is workin´fine, no artifacts, no freezes.

tripleione: I´ll check what DirectX is installed, I think is 9.0, and the reason for using detonator 44.03 is because I have heard and read that the 30.xx and 40.xx are the best in performance for the Geforce4Mx, just for play I´ll try with the latest detonator fron Nvidia.

Thanks for your help, I´ll be reporting.

I could not locate any Geforce4 MX440 with 32MB, only 64/128.
Take the card out and clean the gold contacts on both sides with an eraser, make sure to blow off/clean the remnants and put back in. If that does not bring anything, than you may have a defective memorybank on the card. If still within warranty, try to exchange it.
I'm sorry I can't come up with anything else.

Hello.

Ok I have tested the card in another machine and is also 32Mb, so now I can say the card has a defective memory bank, I´ll try to return it back to the store.

I have tried also with the latest detonators, directx9.0b, and also cleaned both sides gold contacts with an eraser but it really did not help.

Thanks to all

BR

has anyone found any resolution to this problem? I'm having the same problem with my mx440 128mb, showing up in XP as 32mb, and have found a couple other forums on the net with the same problem, but no answers? Anybody?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back