GeForce 6600GT vs my motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sil

Hello all,

I'm thinking of getting a GeForce 6600GT, PCI or AGP, not sure. I have an AOpen AX4PE Max motherboard. The manual says it has a 4X AGP slot, yet the card supports AGP 8X. Does that mean it won't work on this motherboard? The PCI, then, would be my other option. But, what does "PCI Express" mean: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...&sku_id=0665000FS10058987&catid=&newdeptid=18? Would it still work on a regular PCI slot? Help me decide which to get! :)

The 6600gt doesn't come in pci. It comes in pci-express(pci-e, not pci-X) and agp. Pci-e requires new motherboards that support it. It cannot be used with pci. An agp 8x 6600gt may work. If the card is agp 4x/8x(many are) it should work, but if it's only agp 8x, then it might not.

another concern is power. newer graphics cards (like said 6600) will draw significant power and you must make sure your power supply can deliver the amperage.

dont buy it just yet, are u form the USA, if so i dont mean to take bussinice away from you store that u mentioned, i just want u to get a good price go to www.newegg.com that card is about 150-200 USD there

totally my bad i saw that site was form canida so it comes to me that your in canida, so disregard my last post, and also that is a good card, what are you systems specs

it looks close please post other system specs to determin, its also 70% effective as it says on that site so its 70% of 300 whitch is kinda low

right form the site

Efficiency Min 65%
Typical 70% (at full load)

XP Home, P4 2.4 ghz, 1 gb ram, 2 60gb hd's, cd-rw (48x12x50), dvd player (16x), GeForce4 MX 440 atm.

hate to say it but it looks like u may need new power supply, i need an opnion form someone of whitch you should get though but 300w at 75% is was to close for me, what do all have to say????????

The 6600gt is installed and working. I'm also running a program to monitor the voltage and such, so I'll know when I'll have to change the power supply. Ty for your help. :)

nice, maybe i was worng about the powersupply, but it is cuttin it close, but imglad for u and ur new card

yeah that power supply looks like the same things that comes with ur case...I also have a 6600 gt and the power supply that came with my case was 450 I believe...I had it in their running my system before I got my new power supply and it ran for 3 days i think and then WHAM power supply quit working...so from personal experience...get a new one prefferably around 450-550 watts to run that beast of a card. My Aspire 520 watt is running like a dream...and wattage doesn't mean everything...u could get a 500 watt PSU from a crappy brand and a 400 Aspire will run better...just keep that in mind

TDawg said:
yeah that power supply looks like the same things that comes with ur case...I also have a 6600 gt and the power supply that came with my case was 450 I believe...I had it in their running my system before I got my new power supply and it ran for 3 days i think and then WHAM power supply quit working...so from personal experience...get a new one prefferably around 450-550 watts to run that beast of a card. My Aspire 520 watt is running like a dream...and wattage doesn't mean everything...u could get a 500 watt PSU from a crappy brand and a 400 Aspire will run better...just keep that in mind

Isn't aspire a crappy brand?
check here.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566
aspire is listed as "unreccomended".

Aspire..ok

Yea i have had both bad and good expirences with aspire. I have personally seen it ruin a motherboard in a flash. you wouldnt find me putting in my rig. But then agian, i have a friend whosw aspire works fine. So i just dont get it

Sean

a higher percentage of aspire supplys may turn out bad but that doesn't mean ALL of them will. i prefer not to take my chances though, and i definitely wouldn't sell it to a customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back