GeForce 6800 XT or Radeon X800 GT 256MB

Status
Not open for further replies.

ma[x]ed

Which one?.the 6800 is a tad cheaper. But what would be best value for the money?Which would suit my current specs?.
My current specs:
Intel 2.66 p4
Ram 512mb ddr
GFX radeon 9200 pro 256mb
Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Motherboard

Thanks

i prefer the the geforce 6800 but i am not shure wich one will best suit your specs!

i like the feature in the 6800 but I think performance-wise, x800 GT maybe a tad better than the 6800xt.

Yea i was thinknig about it and was wondering if there was anything special about the x800 that made it somehow better than the nvidia.GUess ill go nivida.What do you guys think of my pc specs, should i upgrade them , or are they fine for a casual gamer.?

I think a 2.66ghz Northwood will work out fine. Smart to upgrade just your video card. Better CPUs are coming soon.

ma[x]ed said:
Yea i was thinknig about it and was wondering if there was anything special about the x800 that made it somehow better than the nvidia.GUess ill go nivida.What do you guys think of my pc specs, should i upgrade them , or are they fine for a casual gamer.?

ATi's card usually clocks a bit higher than nvidia's card. Also, far cry is usually better with ati's card (it's in the architecture) while doom is usually better with nvidia's card.

If you plan to go for nvidia's card, get 6800GS.

Your system should be fine with either card.

Well i was looking through the prices and everything and i was wondering if it would be best for me to get a PCI-E motherboard. More and more cards are PCI-E these days...Anyone recommend a good-value pci-e supported motherboard that would go well with my other specs?

Now we run into a bit of a problem. I don't think there are any motherboards that support the older Intel socket 478 and the new PCI-E graphics card. So it looks like if you want a PCI-E card, you'll also have to get a new CPU as well. If you get a new CPU, now you can consider an AMD instead of an Intel, although it's not mandatory.

ma[x]ed said:
Well i was looking through the prices and everything and i was wondering if it would be best for me to get a PCI-E motherboard. More and more cards are PCI-E these days...Anyone recommend a good-value pci-e supported motherboard that would go well with my other specs?

I prefer MSI and DFI. They both have really good pci-e motherboards.

I looked over at the Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9 Socket 939 ATX. it looked nice.
so to get that i will need to upgrade my p4 2.66 as well?
----
well i looked over it again and the Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 nForce4 Ultra PCI-Express ATX
seems like a very nice motherboard,although a bit expensive.coupled with a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz Socket 939 and a GeForce 6600 512MB PCI Express.??

I would defnitely recommend go for pci-e mobo. HOwever I personally won't recommend get amd system right now as the new socket should be out soon (AM2 or something of sort).
Unless you absolutely feel that you need to upgrade, then I wuld suggest go for pcie mobo as the pcie card usually sells a tad cheaper than the agp counterparts, also that the performance would be better for a new cpu.

Yea im waiting a while,I can either upgrade now or at the end of the year. I think it would be best for me to wait till the whole pci-e thing settled down and i did an upgrade towards november/december this year.

ive still got a good month of gaming bliss left till school starts, so i was thinknig of getting a cheap agp card to replace my 9200 pro to play in the meanwhile (1 year).

Looking at what i want to spend now cards like the 9600 pro and the GeForce 6600 128MB AGP pop into mind....any suggestions??

ATI over Nvidia for mid-level

Although I'm a die-hard Nvidia fan, I must say that for a mid-level card that has the potential to reach clockspeeds close to high-level cards, I'd definitely go with ATI (especially the x800 gto series [agp of course]). This card features 12 pipes and because some of the parts are from highend cards the overclocking possibilities are insane. Even if you don't overclock, it's a very stable card and won't overheat as the mid-level nvida cards tend to so often... (and if they don't, they make a hella-lot of noise in an attempt to stay cool).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back