GeForce 7800gtx 512mb or GeForce 7800gtx 256mb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Im new to building pc's. I am currently building a pc which will have a athlon 64fx57 cpu and an asus a8n32 motherboard. I am going to do sli so I was wondering what video cards to get. Also, any recomendations would be welcomed gladly. Thanks a lot.

welcome to Techspot.

I heard the A8N32 arent so good at handling two video cards running in X16 SLI
I cant find the thread where someone posted the reasons why. might wanna google around first and read some reviews of the chosen motherboard.

also it might be better value to run two 7800GTs on SLI isntead of two GTX's on sli as the performance increase going from on GTX to two isnt prolly much

vnf4ultra said:
I don't think the a8n sli 32 is worth it, it's overpriced and hard to find, and it actually is SLOWER than a normal sli board(like the a8n sli, deluxe or premium).

The explanation of the newer platform being slower comes from one architectural feature of the nForce4 SLI X16. To ensure high-speed communication between the chipset’s North and South bridges, NVIDIA had to reduce the width of the HyperTransport bus the chipset connects to the CPU with and to use two 8-bit channels instead of the ordinary nForce4’s two 16-bit channels there. The smaller bandwidth of the CPU-chipset link does not show up in games but the performance of applications that actively use the system bus, like data archiving utilities for example, may suffer a lot. We are not even sure the nForce4 SLI X16 will offer any advantage in the next generation of PC games, despite its two full-width PCI Express x16 slots, because the narrow HyperTransport bus will probable be a bottleneck. Being the first chipset with the PCI Express x16 + x16 formula, the NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16 is interesting and unique, but it is no better than the ordinary nForce4 SLI, at least in current applications.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asus-a8n32-sli-deluxe_25.html
this might be helpful to u

512 huh. Just wondering what the advantages are to 512 as opposed to 256. I've tried to look around but I cant find any info. I was un aware about a8n32 slowing other applications down. It seems like every different review site has different info. Oh well.

Well, take Doom 3 and Quake 4 for example, you'll be able to play in Ultra without a problem. BUt with 256Mb you won't be able to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back