GeForce 8 series

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc0rchedst0rm

Right, I had been debating with myself whether or not I'm going to get one of these monsters, when I discovered that I'll need to upgrade my power supply. Having asked around a bit, I was told I'd be wanting in upwards of 650W, which sounds like an awful lot. I don't want to have matched the cost of my new graphics card in electricity bills within the year, afterall.

But imagine my suprise when I read in a review that the GTS version (which I was considering) only requires 400W, while the GTX requires 450. Can anyone sort this out for me once and for all? What are the actual power requirements?

It depends a lot on the amps on the 12V rail.

Appearing at http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/977/2
As far as power requirements go, the GeForce 8800GTS will require a minimum 400 watt power supply (with 12V current rating of 26A). The GeForce 8800GTX will require a minimum 450 watt power supply (with 12V current rating of 30A) and you can double those numbers when you start talking about SLI.
Personally, I'd use at least a 500 or 550 watt power supply for the 8800GTS and GTX, respectively; but you may be able to get away with what the article says. It also depends on hard drives, etc. With graphics monsters like that, too, I'd use only power supplies from a select few vendors, such as Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, SeaSonic, Antec, Enermax, or FSP. That's about all I can think of for now.

Pfft the regards about SLI are completely FALSE A 650W ThermalTake toughpower ran a Core 2 and dual 8800GTX's. Doubling means double processors and all so that was a rather stupid comment by them.

A lot of computer magazines and websites, I have noticed, don't know much and they suggest things that are overkill. I almost fainted when I saw Computer Shopper Magazine suggest an eMachines :eek: .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back