GeForce GO 8800 GTX/GTS ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

guyver1

ok im in a position at the moment where i want to upgrade my gaming laptop.

I've been looking at an Alienware m9700 with dual 512Mb 7900 GPU's in SLI

BUT

knowing that the new nvidia 8800 architecture is just far superior to the old architecture and that frame rates are superb on the 8800's, what should i do?

1. does anyone have any info either from nvidia or lappy makers about release dates for Go versions of the 8800 GPU's?

2. I have the patience to wait a few months and have the cash to invest in a very good (around the £2000 mark) lappy, would the wait for the 8800's superior architecture be worth it in the long run, esp with new titles like UT3 etc?

cheers for any advice

Leon.

You'd get better frames with the dual 7900s. You'd get a better "picture" with the 8800 thanks to the higher quality shaders. You'd still get good framerates, but the dual 7900s would win if that's your biggest need.

Xylander is correct, But the reliability of the Alienware seems to be in question. Complaints have been legion. With all the troubles with reliability and poor tech support, you might do well to consider another brand.

looking at the desktop segment, an 8800GTS 640 beats even the mighty 7950GX2 and in some cases even 2 7900GTX in SLI; an 8800GTX beats anything (dual or even quad SLI)

at the laptop segment the best right now is 2 7950GTX in SLI (very expensive)
as for the new 8M series that just launched (dropped the Go went for the M), they do have DX10, but they really lack in performance, after all they are Midrange products (the best is 8600GTS) and are on a 128bit interface.

similar "bad" performance (similar to a 7600GT) is shown with the 8600GTS on the desktop, leaving a huge gap between this one and the closest high-end 8800GTS 320

but when the 8800M will launch (this Summer) be certain they will have similar performance boosts with their desktop counterparts

as for the right vendor I would recommend Dell (or Alienware which they bought some time ago), Toshiba, Acer or ASUS for a gaming notebook

I also recommend not going for an SLI notebook, they're too expensive and dissipate too much heat and noise

Dell in South Africa - I am prejudiced

Yeah I think the Dell XPS range is awesome as they offer the 512Mb GeForce Go 7950GTX. Here in South Africa however it is a different story. Our local Dell people have done a 'market survey' and thus do not sell the XPS range here. Trot on over to www.dell.co.za and try and find the XPS. I called em, they told me. I like Dell, my current machine is Dell, they are great, but I am trading in all my systems for a laptop with gaming grunt. South Africa being a third come first world in third world type place, we can get all the major brands here BUT not with the high end 7950GTX 512Mb mobile GPU. Needing to go outside the country, and having personal friends with Alienware issues, I have chosen Killernotebooks. But if you can get the Dell XPS I would say GO FOR IT ;)

Cheers guys

YES EVERYONE- Go 8800 is in Korea!!

Hello everyone,
Yes, there is now a release of new Go 8800 GTX GPU's currently on sale in South Korea. The Insp. series 17" models have an upgrade to a Go 8800 GTX. The total will come up to be 2200$. That is before international shipping and handling. The Korean Dell website currently doesn’t have it, but have mailed Catalogs to Korean citizens. I am assuming it’s a new promotional method. I have a Friend that showed me it and already purchased one a month ago. Good Luck everyone!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back