GeForce Ti4200 Troubles (please help)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having a strange graphics problem that I have never before encountered. From time to time, and I believe solely in games (though more than one), my screen turns into a pattern of multi-colored nonsense and the computer becomes entirely unresponsive. I have yet to identify any triggers for this behavior, and it can happen frequently or infrequently (utterly random).

The only remedy is to reset the machine (at which point the graphics problem still remains), and then switch it off and then back on again. This always fixes the problem, however temporarily.

I am completely baffled by this and would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Thanks for reading,

Erik Blake

Errors I have seen like that have been caused by memory - Either system memory or your video card memory.

Are you overclocking anything, per chance? You might want to try running your video card and CPU at stock speeds if this is the case.

I once experienced problems like this when I was running games that didn't support Antialiasing or Anisotropic Filtering (both were enabled). Have you tried disabling both of these if they were enabled? If this does not fix the problem, it must be a memory problem as Rick said. Good Luck :grinthumb !

ELB, what is the manufacturer of the video card? The reason I ask this is because for the past year or more specific Gainward cards have had the exact issue you mention. I, myself, had that very issue with the Gainward Geforce4 Ti4200 64MB model. I had to ship the card to Gainward and they sent me a replacement. The problem with these Gainward cards, as Rick said, is the memory. Any manufacturer can encounter bad memory but Gainward has had specific issues with such.

Yes, thanks so much for the above. Turns out that it is a Gainward issue, and Gainward was very good about replacing.

- Erik

Yep, try clicking the wrong button on powerstrip and you'll see what happened to ELB (transalation: I almost messed up my GF2.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back