GeForce2 MX 400 64mb - game lag problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Counter-strike

I bought a geforce2 mx400 64 mb and it's been giving me problems since. During the games i experience lag when i see a lot of action on the screen. Like if there is a lot of gunfire or if there is a lot of people.
It's not a ping lag but more of a chopppines on the screen! i turned v sync off and buffer to block transfer on the display properties. Does any1 have any clue what to do? do i need more ram i only have 127?
Im also running on open gl with a 640X400 or something resolution?
I'm playing counter-strike if u guys didnt catch that part :)

my info

i have 127 mb of ram, unsure on motherboard, pentium 3 650 mz processor, windows 98 2nd addition operating system, 17 inch kds monitor, speedstream dsl, geforcemx 400 vid card. is that enough info? plz help me!:rolleyes:

You wouldn't have AA turned on by any chance. Some drivers just put it to 2x ( OpenGL or D3D ) by default.

First off, the drivers that COME with the video card SUCK. Do not use them. Download the newest drivers from nVidia, as they often offer much greater performance and stability from manufacturer drivers. If you have not done this, I will almost guarantee this is the problem.

AA is Anti-Aliasing. It is a process where your video card smooths the picture out a bit, although certain things may become a bit more blurry. It also does this as a great expense of video processing power, slowing your video card down as much as 30%. Make sure this is off.

You have 127mb of RAM.. Which means you have an onboard video chip. Have you disabled this? Are sure you are even using your GF2 MX? If you have not disabled this video chip in the BIOS and connected your monitor cable to the new card, it is possible that you are still using your crummy integrated graphics chip instead.

dang

im using 600x400 res on open gl in cs games. which shouldnt be causing lag, also i installed new drivers from internet, 3rd i dont know how to disable other vid card and that could be the problem. please write back tellin me how to. thx very much.

Unsure about the sysbo? It's not in your documentation? I've never liked Gateway...Does your GF2 have 16mb or 32mb of onboard video memory? And really, when WAS the last time you upgraded your drivers? Since you got the computer? They're about 2½ years old if you did that, which is very bad...Check out Nvidia's site for upgrades.
I think AA is definitely your problem. It's always been for older video cards, not for the Quincunx powered GF3-4's.
Ever considered upgrading your hardware?
What about switching to D3D, how's the choppiness there?

yes i did

i upgraded the drivers yesterday off nvidia.com and i checked running in 3d and it's even more laggy and i turned aa on and off and it didnt do a ****** thing...so that aint it! plz help. i think it may just be old fashion ram?

peace

[size=1]**** Moderator's note ****
Objectionable, obscene and defamotory comments will not be tolerated on the 3DS forums and is a direct violation of the #DS (Terms of Service) ToS. This post has been edited.

Edited by: Rick[/size]

Originally posted by Rick
You have 127mb of RAM.. Which means you have an onboard video chip. Have you disabled this? Are sure you are even using your GF2 MX? If you have not disabled this video chip in the BIOS and connected your monitor cable to the new card, it is possible that you are still using your crummy integrated graphics chip instead.

Have you uninstalled your onboard video chip drivers?

A GF2 shouldn't be that bad...Do you know what kind of RAM it does use? Likely SGRAM...but if you don't know, it doesn't really matter...It must just be the chip. 64mb should not be acting like that. What kind of cooling do you have on it? It may just be overheating.

the bios

i do not understand how to get to the bios and disable anything? also when i was in games i noticed i had high fps when there were only a few amounts of people around, but when i was around 3 to 4 people and they were firing i had about 30 fps. im pretty sure it isnt overheating but you never know, i honestly think that i need mroe ***** ram

[size=1]**** Moderator's note ****
Objectionable, obscene and defamotory comments will not be tolerated on the 3DS forums and is a direct violation of the 3DS ToS (Terms of Service). [/size]

Yours posts will be deleted

Two strikes, Counter-Strike. Another direct violation of this board and your account here will be suspended.

Please be careful of the language. While I don't find such things offensive, other people do so we like to keep things as clean as possible.

I realize counterstike isn't the newest game around, but when you have several other people around firing, things tend to get choppy. Especially if you are the server. 650Mhz is good enough for play most games very well, but it doesn't give much of a margin for extra performance.

It shouldn't be going that bad even though his CPU is at 650. It's far more then enough to run CS. I used to run it with a P3 450 & a TNT 2 M64. At 800*600 I had 70 / 60 fps most of the time. Sure it slowed down with Smoke bombs but who doesn't ? With a Gf2MX400 especially with 64 mb & a 650 p3 you should be getting much more. I mean at 640*480, the card is even being stressed yet.

What programs do you run in the background while playing games? It could be not even the video card, rather the CPU slowing down. I had the same problem with my Athlon XP a while ago, I had firewalls, heat monitoring tools, and other stuff all running in the background, and it slowed my machine down to a crawl. Try looking into that, the 128 MB of your RAM very well may be full...

Please be careful of the language

Originally posted by Rick
Please be careful of the language .

* Be mindful of our International Membership; use proper English & Grammar.
* Women & Children (not to mention Julio's girlfriend) frequent the boards, watch your language! (TOS is strictly enforced)

Moderator's note:
Objectionable, obscene and defamotory comments will not be tolerated on the 3DS forums

Re: the bios

Originally posted by Counter-strike
i do not understand how to get to the bios and disable anything?

I believe if you have install if you have installed the card in a proper sequence, then your onboard graphics will be automatically disabled one the GF2 card is detected.

Originally posted by Counter-strike
i do not understand how to get to the bios and disable anything?
press del when the pc is POSTing (where you see the )memory test. a presume it should be the same for al BIOSes (from what i've seen), but if not, then check your mobo manual (easiest way).

Brand computers sometimes are harder to get into the BIOS. For old COMPAQ you needed a special boot disc in order to get in. If DEL doesn't work, most PHOENIX BIOSes work with the F2 key.

serious?

* Women & Children (not to mention Julio's girlfriend) frequent the boards, watch your language! (TOS is strictly enforced)
Kind of takes the seriousness out of it.And if anyone should know...it's me.;)

Re: serious?

Originally posted by DogStar

Kind of takes the seriousness out of it.And if anyone should know...it's me.;)
How does that take the seriousness out of it? We (moderators) as well as Forum Leaders (you know who you are) will not stand for TOS violations on this board. You probably didn't get away with it much on the old board but this new board has made us even more sensitive to keeping this board clean. So if you think you can violate the TOS and post offensive language then you will be better off finding a new forum to post on.

-SNGX1275
moderator of:
The Meeting 'spot'
Windows OS
Storage Mania

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back