GeForce4 4200Ti 128 MB Horrors

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUALMASOK

Hi all!
Hopefully someone can help me, I am going completely mad.
I recently bought a GF4 4200Ti 128 MB to replace my old Radeon 9200SE, but after installing the new card and then installing new drivers (nVIDIA forceware 8.1.9.8) I can't play any new games (eg. Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Quake 4) with the exception of Star Wars: Battlefront 2.
The games run fine when initializing menus, etc, but as soon as the card starts rendering I get 0 fps and Half-Life 2 just crashes.

My sys is an AMD 2800+, K7 Triton, 512 MB and GF4 4200Ti 128 MB AGP 8x.

Please, someone put me out of my misery!

I used to have a GeForce 4MX Integrated GPU. I think yours is better than mine still, though.Youshould be able to play Star wars Battlefront 2, and I had Half-Life 2 and played it on my old card. I reccommend you get a new card if you have a high enough PSU and an AGP or PCI-e slot. But that should be fine for some games. You should get Call of Duty 2, it runs fine on old cardss.

DirectX 9.0b or 9.0c games render at less than 0 fps

It's not that the card is old tech; the card is not working properly, and I can't figure out why. I used to have a Radeon 9200 SE and Half-Life 2 ran fine, Doom 3 ran OK, but the only game I couldn't run with the Radeon was Quake 4. That's why I bought the Ti 4200.
But with the Ti 4200, the only games that will work are DirectX 9.0a compatible games. Battlefront II runs great at high res/detail. I have downloaded drivers galore from the net but nothing works. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any DirectX 9.0b or 9.0c game I try to run renders at less than 0 fps. The nVidia site is no help at all. PLEASE HELP ME SOMEONE!!!

Does the card require power separate from the AGP slot? It should only be a small plug for that card but this might be your problem. See if there are any pins (probably 3) sitting at the edge of your card. If not it certainly sounds like a driver problem. Try using an older version of the drivers.

Problem Solved

Everything is working sweet.

In the end I downloaded the last version of the Detonator drivers (version 45.23 I think) and everything works great. Even Quake 4 renders with these old drivers (from 2003).

Does anyone know how I can identify the manufacturer of my video card? Even in the BIOS its says it was made by nVidia, but the nVidia website states that they don't make video cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back