GeForce4 MX420.........video but no sound!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a geforce4 MX420 video card and installed, and the video is working fine, but i have no sound........i'm using Windows ME, pIII with onboard sound.......i'm pretty new to this aspect of comps, so i'm not sure if i would need to add a sound card or not.......i've done some searching online and it seems a lot of people are using onboard sound with a seperate video card......and advice would be greatly appreciated.......

When you disabled your onboard video, did you accidentally disable the sound as well. I know it isn't likely but I have seen it happen before. Check the BIOS to make sure.

I can't directly help you with your problem of missing sound. But I can assure you that you do not need to buy a sound card. Only time you would need to buy a sound card is if yours actually fried. But chances of that happening when you installed a video card are probably pretty slim.

other than that you might have an IRQ conflict.
control panel> system> device mgr> computer>
did you check for Yellow (!) any conflicts?
What irq's your using (they're listed)

Chucklehead,

1st post: Welcome aboard! :D

If I set my FSB too high: I lose my on-board sound too. My limit is 72mhz w/my 500 Celeron 66mhz FSB CPU. My board (i810E) has a locked BIOS & when I use CPUCool to OC the FSB: everything is clocked higher & it appears the sound chip can't go that high. :(

What comp/board do you have? Any 'software' or BIOS oc'ing? Is that a PCI or AGP MX420? What Win system & have you run any diagnostics yet? :cool:

HTH,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back