General Temp Reassurance please

Status
Not open for further replies.

schizoid77

Hey,

I've finished doing a couple mods on my case...a window with a 80mm fan, a Vantec Fan Card underneath my videocard, upgraded system fan, rounded cables replaced all those ugly flat ones, and I removed the plastic air duct that used to direct air straight onto the cpu fan.
Right now, my CPU temps at idle are between 14C and 20C, at full load, it would peak about 31C.
The "system" temp likes to stay around 34C and raises to 37C when cpu has been working for a while.
GPU - BFG Tech 5900...at idle/or in 2d mode I guess, the core reads between 45-47C and ambient temp is always about 10c below that. ....NOW when I come out of a game, such as UT2K4, after a crap load of action...the GPU temp reads sometimes at 70-75!C....the bar is in the yellow section, but quickly drops to lower 50's.
That kinda scares me, The Fan card is fully operational and on high, and the card itself has a pretty nice cooling system.
My roommate's setup, almost the same as mine has an idle of 31C and he rarely gets above 55C withthe same game and setup.....

Are there any #'s in the above paragraph that would make anyone cautious? Or are these average/normal temps??

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Schiz.

For the 2369017361236th time, yes, that is a perfectly fine temp to run your computer at.

And when you see that 70-75 temperature readout for your GPU, you're probably reading Fahrenheit. I highly doubt that'll run at 70C. But, if it is actually C, here's probably what your problem is - if you have that Vantec PCI Fan Card installed just below your video card's fans, try moving it down a slot or even better, removing it alltogether. You have two fans trying to take the same air from the same 3 square inches, and it's severely vacuuming the space.

Holy!!!
Didn't know this was my 2369017361236th post about my high gpu temps ;-) I'll try to stop, but it's def. a compulsive response to not knowing what I'm doing.
but yeah, it reaches 70+ Celsius.

I'll just put an icepack in the case and call it a day. The Vantec cards looks too damn cool to remove and I have zero pci slots available.

Thanks for the reply.

2369017361236 is a hell of a lot of questions about CPU temps...no wonder Vehementi has 3601 posts...

Originally posted by schizoid77
Holy!!!
Didn't know this was my 2369017361236th post about my high gpu temps ;-) I'll try to stop, but it's def. a compulsive response to not knowing what I'm doing.
but yeah, it reaches 70+ Celsius.

I'll just put an icepack in the case and call it a day. The Vantec cards looks too damn cool to remove and I have zero pci slots available.

Thanks for the reply.

Not your high GPU temps, but other people are suddenly becoming terrified that their CPU is too hot at 40C :rolleyes:

And how can you even see the Vantec thing? Your video card's GPU, and thus heatsink, is pointed down in a normal ATX case. You have to duck down and look up through a case window to see the GPU HSF. I think I had a rant on the pointlessness of fancy pants GPU heatsinks because of that here a while ago. I mean, my video card's heatsink (Gainward FX5900) is awesome too, it's huge and it has metal sheets that both keep the air from the 2 fans running through the heatsink fins and not reflecting off, and it makes the fans look like a fireball (even though they have blue LEDs inside, not red...). But I can't even see the darned thing, only the blue LEDs!

Be careful with that icepack, it'll attract condensation ;)

And lowman, I only have 3010 posts, but you're correct in theory ;)

3610 it is...

I stand corrected...I need to start taking my time when I type and stuff...still impressive...

Yo yo yo yo, I replaced the system fan and turned it around for exhaust. My GPU now idles at 42-43C...I ran a few benchmarks, and the temp maxed to about 53C...
So right now...I have a side window intake, blowing colder air onto the Vantec fan card, which is in turn blowing that air up and onto agp card, and the air is then blown out of the case through the rear 90mm fan.

thanks all for replying to my ghetto post.

Originally posted by Vehementi
And when you see that 70-75 temperature readout for your GPU, you're probably reading Fahrenheit. I highly doubt that'll run at 70C.
You should see my rig then :giddy:

I'm using Zalman ZM80C-HP without a fan, and the temperature of upper heatsink (ie. on the backside of the card) is about 67C when the card is not doing any 3D work. It doesn't lock up when doing hours of intensive 3D gaming, either. I just haven't measured the GPU temperature yet at that time, I might do it someday if my thermometer doesn't run off scale (max 80C).

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
You should see my rig then :giddy:

I'm using Zalman ZM80C-HP without a fan, and the temperature of upper heatsink (ie. on the backside of the card) is about 67C when the card is not doing any 3D work. It doesn't lock up when doing hours of intensive 3D gaming, either. I just haven't measured the GPU temperature yet at that time, I might do it someday if my thermometer doesn't run off scale (max 80C).

:eek:

I meant run at 70C as in it'll produce that much heat altogether, even full load. I didn't mean that it wouldn't run because it was 70C.

But man, that is quite the temp for the heatsink, not to mention it's even on the other side...how's your case airflow? Doesn't sound good, but I bet your machine is pretty quiet.

Of course, you're an incredibly smart guy and obviously know what you're doing with your machine, who am I to be questioning you...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back