Generic 4.1 system

By Catalyst ยท 4 replies
Dec 8, 2003
  1. I have a generic system that my friend got from a friend, and I think I've pretty much got it figured out, except I don't know what voltage ac to use. There's no brand name on it. The sub is this little gray box and on the back is where everything is plugged in, like so:

    Front Input Rear Input Front Output Rear Output Power Control AC/IN

    All lined up. I was hoping that I could find a similar system to compare it to, but no such luck. The main setup of the system, if I can figure it out correctly, is such:

    * * * *| ,----'|'-,
    * * * *|,^, ,--' ,^,
    >-----{ * * *}-,[ ]
    * * * *,--------'

    > Plug
    { * * *} sub
    [ ] computer
    [] speaker
    * space

    This probably looks pretty desperate, but I can't find any other way. And my little picture up there probably looks pretty confusing, but try and guess how confused I was when I first started untangling the thing.
  2. StormBringer

    StormBringer TS Maniac Posts: 2,244

    it says AC in? not DC in? I have an old set here that has AC in on it, it uses an AC cord, that fits the connector on the back. It converts to DC inside the box. All the other sets I have lying around have DC in, and most have the Vdc marked on it. Though the one with AC in has 125 VAC marked on it, so...

    Can you either post a pic of the power port, or describe it?
  3. Catalyst

    Catalyst TS Rookie Topic Starter

    This is it. I have another picture, so that'll be the next post.
  4. Catalyst

    Catalyst TS Rookie Topic Starter

    This is the entire system. I tried opening one of the speakers, hoping for at least a model #, but so far no luck.
  5. StormBringer

    StormBringer TS Maniac Posts: 2,244

    if you can find an FCC ID # somewhere, you might be able to trace the manufacturer, which might narrow it down enough that we could find a model.

    I don't want to tell you anything for certain, but the port in that pic doesn't look anything like the one on the set I mentioned, this set just has a spot on it that looks like the AC jack on a portable stereo or something. The one you have has a round port like a DC power pack would plug into. This doesn't really mean much.

    Can you open the box with the connector panel(I assume that is located on the sub) It would help if I knew if there was a big transformer and a rectifier circuit inside it, from what I've seen thus far, I'm thinking there is.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...