Generic Host Process problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running Windows XP SP 2. When my computer boots up in normal mode, usually right after I log in (sometimes after a minute or so), it gives the Generic Host Process problem and reboots. It lists a problem with my lsass.exe file. It works fine in safe mode. I have Trend Micro PC Cillin updated every day. Sorry for the lack of really specific information, this just happened a half hour before I had to go to work. I'll post more info once I get back to my comp. Thanks a bunch for your time and help.

You can check your event viewer for any critical problems that might have occured, and it will give you a little bit of a better desctiption of your problem.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

EDIT:
Wow, I just did a system restore to a week ago as a last resort, and my comp seems fine now. That's awesome/weird. System restore has never seemed to fix any of my problems before. Going to this forum must've been good luck lol. I hope I didn't waste anyone's time.

I too have been troubled that Generic Host Services must be allowed to connect to the Internet before my Netscape browser and mail client can connect. So I "allow" it to connect two iterations of GHS upon start-up.

However, occasionally GHS tries to act as a server. Anyone know wtf that's about? Of course I hit "Deny" and it doesn't seem to affect any aps or Internet connections.

What queries would my Generic Host "server" respond to? And from whom? This sort of spyware is not diabolical, of course. It's all part of the grand marketing scheme, to see what interests you, so that pop ups and other media can be directed to your specific profile. Big Brother is not only listening, he's digging through your cache, and your trash too.

By the way, I've heard that if your address is "msn.net" there is a database of your Web habits on file at Microsoft. They would never release this information to anyone, except paying customers of course.

Several of my aps also want to connect to the Internet. Every time I open MS Word or any of the Adobe suite, they want to connect. For upgrades, I presume. I always hit "Deny," and after a few seconds they open anyway.

If I didn't have my firewall set on max, with no "trusted" programs, I wouldn't be aware of any of this apparent spyware.

Hey, I have a question, too. Has anyone tried the new "Foxfire" browser from Mozilla? I use Netscape in order to avoid using Internet Explorer, but since Netscape was acquired by AOL I don't think they're the cutting edge of browsers anymore.

Regards, Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back