Generic PSU - yes or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I NEED a PSU - and soon. So I stopped by Computer Dreams, a decent computer shop in my town, and they had only one 400W power supply. The brand name was Ha-something, definitely generic. It's amp ratings were all good, and the man claimed that he had installed it in two PCs and a server and had no problems. But, of course, he IS trying to sell it. Worth buying (fifty American dollars)?

Nope. Never buy a cheap PSU as it could easily damage other components if it fails. Many of these cheap PSUs don't have proper output protection, so they are a big risk. I think the brand name you mentioned was 'HaHa' as the salesman will be laughing all the way to the bank if you buy it.

All my PSUs that i've ever had, were generic - never had a problem ;) I know everyone's had hardware die because of the generic PSU, but never me, so I'll save some money and stick to generic cuz it works just as good as any other brand (for me) ;)

Generic is fine if it works, and most users will never have a problem. But it is a risk, so are you feeling lucky?
There are bound to be some decent generic PSUs out there, but unless you know the brand, then you won't know if the one you are buying is any good, relatively speaking.

Go grab an Antec Truepower PSU...I saw a CompUSA ad Sunday that had an Antec TrueBlue (it has blue LED fans) 380w I believe for $35. I have an Antec TruePower 430 and it has given no problems and has great rails. TTGI is also good, and Super Flower as well.

Originally posted by Nic
Generic is fine if it works, and most users will never have a problem. But it is a risk,
That is very true, and on the other side, you could be very unlucky and get a couple of top brand units that crap out after a few days, the difference here is that the top brand's company will stand behind their product and honor its warranty. Those other "generic" ones, probably won't.

I have myself had lots of "off" or generic brand products that have lasted a long time, also had some that were shorter lived that most celebrity marriages, and I can tell you, when you try to RMA a "cheap" product, you might as well go a few rounds with the champ because you have about as good a chance of coming out on top.

Originally posted by ---agissi---
Heres a grand deal:

http://store.yahoo.com/amamax/psspecial2fnlp6100e.html
At $18.00 there must be very little quality control when that unit was made, and you can say goodbye to your hard drives if it blows. I've seen cheap PSUs take out other components on at least 4 ocassions in the last 7 years (friends & family). If you are going to buy generic, then try not to get something that is too cheap, and then only buy it if you have an old, or cheap, system.

Originally posted by young&wild
Isn't the original price $49? So it should be midrange right?
The 'suggested price' is $49.00, but you could suggest anything if you wanted to. They aren't going to sell at a loss, are they (free shipping as well)? It might do the job, but no specs are provided, and I certainly wouldn't buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back