Getting Error 0x00000024,Not able to reinstall with System Restore disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJWharff

In October of 2005 I purchased a new AlienWare PC which ran great until a few days ago. I was playing World Of Warcraft the game froze and I was forced to reboot and from there on I wasn't able to boot into Windows XP, I continue getting a blue screen error message. So, from there I attempted to reformat the harddrive. I was able to begin installing Windows XP with the system restore disc that came with the computer. About halfway through the installation many windows components were not found on the disc. Forcing me to either continue looking for the file or ignore it. It would not go any further with continue so I had to ignore the files. Before the installation was complete a blue screen came up in the middle of the installation and from here on out I have not been able to do anything at all with the computer.

I checked my memory sticks and that was not the problem.I can't even boot from the Windows disc now, it will start reading the disc and right before its ready to start, the blue screen comes up with the error message 0x00000024.

I am hoping that someone reads this post and has a few ideas. I can't seem to figure anything out.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Here is the meaning of your bugcheck code.

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

Go HERE for a selection of hard drive diagnostic utilities.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I can't do any of that because I don't even have windows. I can't even get into anything. When I turn on my computer it goes right to the blue screen. I can't even get as far as reinstalling Windows XP.

I can get into BIOS,I have a Floppy Disc drive,My Windows is half assed installed because I got a blue screen in the middle of the installation so that blue screen is preventing me from going further. I can do absolutly nothing on my computer except get into BIOS.

You can put the drive diagnostics onto a floppy, and then boot from the floppy drive.

You may need to go into your bios, and set the boot priority to floppy/cd-rom/hdd save and exit bios.

Regards Howard :)

Thank you, I am going to try it. Is there anything else that could possibly be wrong with any other hardware on my computer. Or is it deffinatly my hard drive?

I would guess it`s a hard drive problem. The hard drive diagnostic utilities may be able to fix it for you.

I think that it will probably involve a complete format.

The hard drive that came with my computer is a DeskStar, do you know the best place to download the drive diagnostics for this specific type? I am trying to keep it onto one disc, or do you think I am going to have to use multiple discs?

I have been reformating the harddrive, I deleted the partition and I am in trying to reinstall windows. And in the middle of the installation I get the same blue screen. And I am not sure what drivers to download.

What did the hard drive diagnostics say?

Maybe you have a bad hard drive. Can you try a different one?

Also, try changing the ide cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back