Getting multiple "STOP:" messages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I changed out a HDD from a computer that the motherboard died on to a computer that had a dying HDD in the hopes I would get 1 working computer. Now this “new” machine reboots constantly and at random times, sometimes it can go ½ hr before crashing sometimes it doesn’t even fully boot. The most common stop messages I’m getting are 0x0000008e and 0x000000d1 but I am getting many different kinds.

I know the first one has to do with RAM but the RAM was fine before the HDD swap and the second I believe is to do with video drivers, which are up to date.

When the mother board on the one computer died it was the same day that the HDD on the other died, talk about when it rains it pours, and I didn’t have any other HDD’s that I could use as a master so that I could format the HDD that was swapped from one machine to the other.

Being that I never formatted the HDD that was moved to the new computer, nor even reinstalled windows XP on it; all I did was move it from one machine to the other; could it be that I crashing all the time simply because the HDD still thinks it’s on the old machine?

Also I have not even tried formatting it since it’s been in the new machine because when I first moved it over windows “seemed” to look for all the drivers necessary and updated the machine accordingly which made me feel as though it’s ok to move a HDD from one machine to a completely different without needing to format or reinstall anything.

Thanks in advance for any help!

You will have to format and reinstall XP on the transferred hard drive. Sometimes swapping hard drives work fine, especially if the motherboard's chipsets are similar. Most of the time unfortunately, you'll have to wipe the drives and start fresh

Ok I’ve been having a new problem now… When reinstalling windows the installer was stating that I needed to delete the current partition and since I don’t want multiple partitions I gave the ok to do so but when the installer was copying files from the CD to begin the setup it wasn’t able to copy certain files over. Since I didn’t want to skip any of those files I stopped the setup process, unfortunately I did not write down what those files were.

After stopping it I shut down the computer so I could check out the CD to see if it was messed up in any way, which it wasn’t. Frustrated I tried to start the process again but now it says “NTLDR is missing, press CTRL+ALT+DLT to restart”. Seeing that I was a little concerned but I restarted the computer went into BIOS changed the settings to boot from my cd-rom and tried once more. This time the NTLDR message rears its ugly head immediately after “Press any key to boot from cd” message and now I have no idea how I am supposed to fix this.

How can I possibly reinstall windows if the machine refuses to boot from anything?

Please help and thanks for the help in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back