4gb OCZ reaper x
2gb kingston value
and 8600gts in SLi

i want to get a new nvidia card what shall i get
8800 ultra
8800 gtx
8800 gts
8800 GT

please give me some advice i like nice smooth graphics so i want something good for gaming and photoshop

All of those are good cards. The 8800GT is probably the best value (bang for the buck), while the GTX is better but more expensive with the Ultra being the most expensive of all. The GTS is not a bad value either. I guess it comes down to what you can afford.

For what it's worth I have read there are rumors that the Ultra will be soon discontinued and eventually replaced with the next top of the line Nvidia card.

gt way better

The 8800 GT is running higher scores then the 8800 GTX in many tests, and the ones that it is not are very close. Many sites and magazines have stated that the GT is the only nvidia card to get right now. The Ultra is to expensive the GTX is a power hog and is run down by the GT. The only other cards you could really consider is ati 3870 and 3870 X2 out in a few weeks. And really if you have the money for a GTX get more perfomace with one GT let alone two in SLI, or two 3870's in crossfire, or wait two weeks and get the smoking fast 3870 X2. I really think the GTX is on its last lags and is a bad decision against the new G92 8800 GT. Remember the GT is a one slot design and takes way less power and is quieter then the GTX. The GTX is huge and loud for basically a little worse to the same perormance as GT. Yes I have a 8800 GT OC no problems sick framerates.
Best of luck.

porsche911r, which one to get, good question. Because I don't have experience with most brands of Nvidia cards I hate to give you an uninformed answer. I can say that I have a PNY 8800 Ultra. PNY might not be well known but I took a chance and it has worked out well so far.

Harley2, I read a review of the 3870 X2 and it sounds like a good card. I'd like to see how it stacks up against the next top of the line Nvidia card. I'm not in the market for a new graphics card at the moment but later you never know.

Ultra

Ya well with an Ultra there is no reason to upgrade.
Heres the numbers
8800 gt 269.69.
8800 gtx 450-569.99
8800 ultra- 639.95

ATI 3870-239.95 so make it 2 and your at about 480 bucks, compare that to the GTX and it runs way faster in Crossfore then a single GTX.

Make it 2 on the 8800 GT 540 bucks, Just as fast in single form, same price for two GT's as 1 GTX and get way faster performance even faster then the ULTRA in SLI

So as you see GTX, ULtra and really any other card on the market can not compare to a 8800 GT or ATI 3870 for performance to price ratio.

hey guys thanks for ur posts i did some reasearch and took ur advice so im eithier want to get an HIS HD 3870 IceQ 3 Turbo or 8800gt now i need ur guys opinion on what to get another thing is will these gpus work with my mobo because is a fairly basic sli mobo but i thought it wud be ok???

rage thanks i think i will be getting that but guess what i just been told that there is a 3870 x2 coming out soon which is ment to be the dog bollocks LOL

ya

I know its tuff. Your choice is great, but if you can wait the 3870 x2 will be the most powerful card out for a bit, even more then the ultra, even though it's really 2 cards just put on 1. Good choice either way.

mmhh yeh i think i might just get the 8800gt because then in the future i might get another one so in terms of expansion 8800gt better for me and also the new ati benchmarks do not kill the gt at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back