Getting rid of system-start drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubKamran

I unistalled my sound card's drivers, but there's some entries left SOMEWHERE and my Event Viewer annoys me about it every time I boot up (it's not causing problems, but...)

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
CTSYN
EMU10K1

Where in the registry/INI files can I get rid of these? My sound card is now non-existant (it's sitting beside me) and I don't want leftovers!

Have you removed them from the Add/Remove applet in the Windows control panel and remove the card from your device manager?

Try removing the files from C:\Windows\System32\drivers (if they are there), then opening up the Configuration utility (Start -> Run -> type in msconfig -> OK) and uncheck any box underneath the StartUp tab that is referenced or related to your sound card.

usually things like that are found in the registry under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

All you have to do is delete the related entry in the right pane of Regedit

as always, editing the registry is very dangerous. You can seriously damage windows playing around in there.

What Windows?

Select "show hidden devices" in Device Manager (in XP/2k) and "uninstall" everything related to your soundcard.

download a program called regcleaner, run it, delete any references to creative, soundblaster, those drivers, etc. (i'm assuming you have a SB from your post)
otherwise i use regstudio to access my registry over regedit. find something similar, then search your registry for those files, remove any referrences.

Or run regedit from start menu and do a search for ctsyn. Use match whole string only. Then delete reference to it

Originally posted by Nodsu
What Windows?

Select "show hidden devices" in Device Manager (in XP/2k) and "uninstall" everything related to your soundcard.

Holy sh*t. I never knew that!

I LEARNED SOMETHING NEW, FINALLY!

Let's see if that fixed it (I uninstalled the drivers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back