Getting Windows 2000 (SP4) to see NTFS drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferrari24

I created a problem on a harddrive and so I need to back up the files from it to another hard drive. This is complex so I believe this is the only answer:

I need to have my Windows 2000 (SP4) operating system be able to see my NTFS system harddrives so I can copy the 200 GB worth of files to my new 500 GB harddrive that has Windows XP installed on it.

But here is the catch: in order to boot up Windows 2000 I had to rename the ntfs.sys file so that it didn't add the harddrive I am getting files from (because there is something corrupted on it that prevents Windows from loading) so I am using a file restore program that isn't smart eno6ugh to see that this 500 GB hdd is NTFS.

So basically, I need to be able to detect an NTFS formatted hdd from Windows 2000 (all updates) with the ntfs.sys file not named ntfs.sys when I start the computer up.

So how can I fix this (I can rename the file back to what it was originally once I turn on the computer).

Note: If you need to see my system specs or anything they are in my profile.

I'm curious, what would happen if I put my harddrive into another computer and then share a folder on it. Would Windows 2k be able to see this folder?

There are programs freely available to read NTFS drives which can run from a floppy disc, let alone from a CD, so download, create and boot from one of them and away you go.

www.bootdisk.com/ntfs.htm

That is assuming your problem on the NTFS drive is not a corrupt file structure?

Well if I try to load up Windows and it reads from this hdd that I'm trying to recover files from Windows doesn't ever start up.

So I guess that won't work :(

See the problem is I can't load up Windows if it reads NTFS drives because of a corrupt file on the drive.

Seeing as I used another program to get the files off I can just reformat the drive and that should fix it.

Not that the problem was solved, but it isn't a problem anymore. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back