GF 8500 GT 1GB or GF 8600 GT 512MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I recently got a new pc, not very fast, but it does the trick. Right now I'm planning on buying a new Graphicscard. I've fallen for a geforce chipset, they seem like the best to me, only problem is, I have to choose from a 8500GT with 1GB VRAM and a 8600GT with 512mb VRAM. Anyone has any idea on which one to choose?
Thanks in advance.

some specifications:
AMD Athlon 3000+
512mb RAM
PCI-e

Hello, Int13h, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a moment to read the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your question, exactly what processor do you have? Saying AMD Athlon is no good because there are about 6 different types of Athlons and you could mean any of them. If you have what i think you have then there is not much point getting a card that good because your cpu will not run fast enough to accommodate it, and you will get bad performance.

Also, whta windows version are you running and do you have PCI-e 1x or 16x?

Thanks for the reply. I have PCI-e 16x and a Athlon64 3000+ Venice. You're probably right about the fact that it's too fast. Any ideas on what should fit my CPU better? A 7300 GT maybe? Video cards aren't really my specialty. I'm running Windows XP SP2 and the latest Slackware stable, don't need it for Linux though.

in that case i think any 8 series card would be a bit much for your cpu, but you could probably get away with a fairly high end 7 series, maybe a 7600 or a 7800 if you can afford the extra money for it

Thanks a lot for the answer. I've decided to go for a 7600GS 265mb, that one seems to be quite a good mid-range competitor and it's not overly expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back