GF2 Ultra lockup problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walker

The GF@ ultra from Tim

After installing the GF2 i got from Tim i am having lockups and random restarts..I had a Voodoo4 4500 in it before

Specks
Asus A7V bios version 1.09
TBird 1.1
256 megs of PC 133
3com nic
Live! value
Win XP Profesional
Maxtor 40 gig
lite-on 16-X-X i dont remember the other numbers..
56x cdrom

Lockups and reboots happen at random times. there seems to be no common time..

Ok. When you removed the Voodoo5 did you uninstall the voodoo drivers. If not you should do that now.
Which version of Nvidia Detonators have you installed for the GF2?
I suggest you have a read of the GeforceFAQ in my signature and do a search on the forum for "Geforce lockup".

And don't forget (like I did) about the latest XP driver problems (Infinite loop) just have a read of the existing posts ;)

I dont want to be the bad guy here, but I totally suggest you do a clean format and reload when changing out video cards. Then upon reinstallation of the video card drivers I would go with the 23.11's, which are Nvidia reference drivers, and see what you get from there.

I know a reload doesnt sound fun but its the only true way to rid yourself of the 3dfx drivers and get a good clean install with Win XP.

If I am completely honest this is actually what I would do. Its just a lot of people have problems backing data up so that they can do this and prefer to try and keep their current setup.
If I change CPU, Motherboard or Video card I usually do a complete reinstall as I have a firewall PC that I can back everything up to.

Format

Yea i was probably gonna just reformat..sigh.. Just wanted to make sure it really wasnt a hardware issue. becouse the error does say its a device failure.. Oh well guess its time to do it...

Restarts

No I dont think so. THis will happen even when im sitting on the desktop. They are completely random...It freezes when in games. Restarts when on the desktop.. Atleast i think thats the pattern...

hey..

I hadnt really thought about that it is a weak PSU been needing another excuse to upgrade that damned thing

A GF2 Ultra might pull more Power than a Voodoo5.
See if you can borrow Tims PSU before you rush out and buy one.
I bought one a while back and it wasn't actually needed but the Enermax one I got is really nice and I don't regret getting it.
I hadn't thought about the PSU as I thought the GF2Ultra and Voodoo5 would have the same high requirements :confused: DOH!

weak PSU

i only have a 250 PSU so an upgrade is way needed.. So damned the old man..(tim) lol...there is a 500 watt on pricewatch for around 50$ bucks. anyone have opinions on that one?:confused:

its not just max power, its the quality of the PSU.
Check out this PSU thread for details.
Enermax, Sparkle, Antec and a few others are recommended.

Update

OK here is everything I've done and so far things seem to be working great..

Droped I/O voltasge on mother board.
Updateed Soundblast drivers from the Creative site (this made a huge difference for some reason)
Installed Newest Drivers from NVidia.
Doing these things cause the problem to be cut in half..But it still happened so i formated and started over. And I havent had an issue since..well ok Textures in Half Life engine games are All neon. but besides that workin great so Far.

Thanks for the update.
When you say that the textures are neon, do you mean all or just the player textures as there was a problem with a previous version of HL that displayed white player models with detonator drivers.

Textures

Its actually gunman cronicles I installed..Its all textures. poeple,walls,sky...you name it..and if there not neon they are shodowing or blurring ..its almost like its not refreshing when it does that..But i havent had any issues beyond that one game. Today is the real test. My GirlFriend home all day playing on the computer....

Again

OK the problem is back not nearly as often... I have a feeling that the only thing left to try is different drivers.. Which driver version would you guys recomend for win XP profesional ? and what is the best way to make sure i get the current version out first?

I have had great success with the 22.80's. I would highly suggest these drivers. I have never had a lockup or a reboot running these drivers. All other detonators have caused my much grief.

btw, I have always used add/remove programs to remove older detonator drivers..

ok so where do i find the

ok i cant find the 22.80's am i blind? can someone point me in the right direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back