Gfx Blown?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok where do i start ive had 3 gfx cards blow on me the latest a 8600gt ide had it 4 days and it worked ok til this morning when it just would not boot up i tryed different pci-e slots a different moniter i was just wondering if anyone knows why or what could be making it blow im thinking maybe psu pls help lol

cheers Kinetic

Assuming you're absolutely sure they're actually "blown" and there isn't a software related conflict, an unstable PSU would be my first guess.

How do you know they're "blown" and how do you know it's not a software conflict?

well im not 100% sure but it wont come on the screen and wot software problem could it be if it wont boot the gfx card and how am i suppost to fix it with no screen and 2 gfx cards have done the same thing after 2 days of being turned on then switched off it wont switch on again after a few hours mabye software i dunno

If they were the same exact cards you'd have the same exact drivers installed, and the same IRQ would likely be assigned thus resulting in the same issues. I'm not suggesting it's one or the other, just trying to point out the fact that there are other possibilities apart from being "blown" out.

It very well may be your PSU sending unstable voltages to the VPU and frying them. Try the VPU in a different system and see if you get a response out of it.

im on my laptop not sure how im suppost to download and save to desktop when i can even see the desktop and im not sure how im suppost to be checking the gpu or vpu as u say

and my psu is E TECH MPT 460

Does your Desktop have integrated video? If so use that. If not, tell me what motherboard, cpu, etc you have. That PSU looks underpowered to me. It could quite easily cause the problems you are facing. Can you borrow a qulaity 550W psu?

How can you determine his PSU is "under powered" when none of his system specifications are listed? I highly doubt his PC requires 550W of power :confused:.

i have a amd x64 dualcore 4200+
asus a8n sli mobo
8600gt gfx
2mb corsiar mem
300 gig harddrive sata raid
and i can look into getting a better psu from a friend but even with more power will my gfx card work or should i send me gfx card bk and get a new1 sent back ?

What you ought to do before buying or replacing anything is make sure that whatever component you're going to replace is actually defective. Test your VPU in another system.

The reason i suspect PSU, is because it is a classic symptom of underpowered system. The fact that he has had several cards, means that it is very unlikely that the card is faulty. IMHO, you have a power issue.

He told me his PSU mate - read the thread properly.

Hey mate, read my post properly. I never said he hadn't specified his PSU. At that point he hadn't specified the rest of his system specifications. I was wondering how you could possibly know that his system requires 550W of power before he even told us what he was running. Furthermore, now that he has told us, I think it's safe to say that he doesn't need 550W of power.

Besides that, trying the VPU in another system is free, where as purchasing a new PSU costs money. Nothing wrong with narrowing things down a bit. If his current PSU is actually "frying" the VPU's (doubtful), then what good would a new PSU do to a dead VPU?

ok mate, fine, you sort it out. I didn;t say buy a new psu, i said borrow one. Plus you said NO system specs were noted, actually the psu was, and that was what i wanted to see.

VPU, you mean GPU? And what "exactly" do you mean by frying?

The system is more than one part. If it is underpowered, you will see 12V rail droop and BSOD's, random freezes, graphical glitches etc. I very much doubt after 3 different GPU's that the GPU is the fault. I would almost bet my last dollar that a cheap, underpowered PSU is at fault. Due to the quality of the psu mentioned, he probably is getting 350W at best, which is borderline for his system under normal operating temperatures (ie efficency of 70% for a cheap PSU is measured at 25oC - not operating temps). That means if he is opearting at 40oC he is likely to get an efficiency of less than 70% which is less than 330W. ALSO I dont even know yet what the amperage is on that 12V rail, which is arguably more important. So before you dismiss the PSU and get the 4th GPU out, have a think.

KINETIC

Download Speedfan and post your 12V rail please. What i am looking for is that your 12V and other rails are within specification for ATX PSU's. If the drop you will risk damaging memory, cpu and gpu.

I believe you are having issues due to your PSU being underpowered. PS, Zeno, it has nothing to do with watts it has to do with the efficiency of the PSU. Right now, i am convinced after 3 GPU changes that his PSU is either faulty or underpowered causing the reoccuring issues.

I'm not claiming to be an expert on anything and the fact of the matter is, I'm not. You were trying to suggest he attain another PSU rated for 550W without knowing any other specifications. I'm simply trying to point out the fact that:

1. It's impossible to know what his system's power consumption rate is without knowing the rest of his system specifications.

2. Even if his PSU is bad, (we now know based on the fact that he posted his hardware specifications) he doesn't need to attain one rated for 550W.

3. He has no video and his system is stable apart from that. If his system was trying to draw too much power off his PSU it likely wouldn't even remain on. He would be experiencing frequent shut downs and reboots. In my opinion (again, I'm not an expert on anything), it simply wouldn't be as isolated as it is (only no display).

4. Being that it's as isolated as it is, it either means that there is an issue with the VPU or something directly influencing the VPU's operation. This very well could mean the PSU is frying his VPU's but pulling a PSU out of a system and putting a new one is takes far more effort than unplugging an expansion card.

I am just trying to be realistic here...

*Edit*

No, I mean VPU. It's a more than acceptable way to refer to a video card. Stop trying to pick fights.

I couldn't agree more. If it is the fault of the PSU it's due to instability.

Again, as I stated earlier, if he is replacing the VPU (yep, I said it again), with the SAME one it's going to cause the SAME issues. That is common sense.

Why after saying "ok mate, fine, you sort it out", did you edit your post and proceed to argue? Say what you mean and mean what you say.

1. I said BORROW a PSU (ie no cost)
2. His system isn't stable becuase he cant even post his specs using PC Wizard
3, Point number 2 is complete non-sense
4. You are assuming its isolated.

Sorry mate, nothing realistic there. He has a cheap, no-name brand 460W psu rated at 70% efficiency at 25oC, That thing wont be pushing out more than 330W at best at operating temps in summer, plus hes lost 3 cards already.

ITS NOT THE GPU>

KINETIC

Can you start in safe mode? Tap F8 on start up.

1. I said BORROW a PSU (ie no cost)
2. His system isn't stable becuase he cant even post his specs using PC Wizard
3, Point number 2 is complete non-sense
4. You are assuming its isolated.

Sorry mate, nothing realistic there. He has a cheap, no-name brand 460W psu rated at 70% efficiency at 25oC, That thing wont be pushing out more than 330W at best at operating temps in summer, plus hes lost 3 cards already.

ITS NOT THE GPU>

KINETIC

Can you start in safe mode? Tap F8 on start up.

The definition of "attain" according to Merriam-Webster:

2 : to come into possession of : obtain <he attained preferment over his fellows>

He hasn't mentioned any signs of system instability apart from the display not being shown. He can't boot into Safe Mode because he can't see anything. This is why he needs to figure out whether or not the VPU (oh my god, I said it again), is actually functioning.

Ah, that's right, you're an Electrical Engineer. Okay, you win. *Bows before thee*.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back