Gfx Card or RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm open to suggestions @ this point
recently i bought a relatively cheap new laptop and i was disappointed to find when i run Diablo II:LOD i get around 20-30 fps as opposed to my previous laptop that ran the game @ about 60 fps

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Tosh...psm/oid/185199/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do#tabs
all the specs are there

I'm looking to spend under 200 dollars and only really care to run the game about as well as my other laptop
I assume that a graphics care will do me more good than RAM but open to suggestions

Thanks for the help

Welcome to TechSpot...

Wow this is a good deal for this... What type of Video you have? Intel or ATI.. That would explain why the video is slower.
EC.TOS.A135S4677.2.jpg
Price is under $500...

Toshiba Satellite 15.4" Widescreen Notebook PC (A135-S4677)
TOS A135S4677
• Intel Pentium Dual Core T2080
• 80GB hard drive
• Burns DVDs and CDs • 1GB of DDR2 memory
• Built-in 802.11gb wireless
• Windows Vista Home

Screen size (diagonal) 15.4"
Maximum screen resolution 1280 x 800
Video memory 256MB
Video memory type Shared

Well now this is what you're going to deal with, 1GB of RAM after the 256MB is being shared you'll have 768MB of RAM free. You can get away with 32MB to 128MB for gaming.. Prices like this I would beef up the RAM to 2GB. You need to find out what type of VIDEO is being used is it PCI-EXpress 16X ATI M Series or Intel Graphics which is slower.

Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) GMA 950
DAC type: Internal
Display Memory: 224 MB
Dedicated Memory: 0 MB
Shared Memory: 224 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (60Hz)

That help any? So your suggesting Replacing the RAM to get 2 gigs?

Intel onboard graphics not really good for gaming as you can see already. What you got there is more for Business applications basic. PowerPoint some video playback. There are some models for that price you paid under HP/Compaq that have ATI M series PCI-Express 16X video which is better for gaming and have that bright glossy screen. I know I have one of those laptops I had seen one at staples so cheap I should I got it but they were sold out..

AMD X2 (dual core) 64-bit are excellent in a laptop, if you can find one buy it. Can you take back this one and see if you can get another one with a better video in it for games.?

tipstir said:
Intel onboard graphics not really good for gaming as you can see already. What you got there is more for Business applications basic. PowerPoint some video playback. There are some models for that price you paid under HP/Compaq that have ATI M series PCI-Express 16X video which is better for gaming and have that bright glossy screen. I know I have one of those laptops I had seen one at staples so cheap I should I got it but they were sold out..

AMD X2 (dual core) 64-bit are excellent in a laptop, if you can find one buy it. Can you take back this one and see if you can get another one with a better video in it for games.?
basically I dont have that option ... would i be able to buy + install it in this laptop or x.x i got a deal with rebates in which i basically got a free printer + router and it would be kind of ridiculous to try to return now. any other suggestions?

Well keep it, does come in handy a laptop and you can even tune your car with one, well with the right software and OBC adapter. Not much you can do with the video onboard it's on the motherboard. Cost to much to change it and it's still new right? You just have the one PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back