GFX card - Power issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiternoise

I want to buy a new graphics card, and i have in mind the 6600GT (agp) my power supply is only 250w, but the card specs say it needs 350w. Can i still run it or will it be unstable? (or should i just upgrade the psu?)

I`d deffinitely recommend you to upgrade your psu.

Get a good quality psu of around 450watts. Antec/Enermax/Fortron psu`s are all good makes.

Take a look at this psu wattage calculator HERE

Also, take a look at this article on psu`s. The psu thread.

Regards Howard :)

OK, checked the calculator thing, i put the intended gfx card in instead as well as overestimating some things that i wasn't quite sure about. It all came to 285w (only 5w higher than with my previous one). So what is the worst that could happen if i use my current psu? (bearing in mind that i'll probably get a new one anyway)
EDIT: also, is there a prog. that monitors your psu output?

You can monitor your psu`s various voltages with the free Everest programme from HERE

The company that makes Everest have discontinued support for the free version. So get it while you can.

While you system may well only need 285watts of power. I`d recommend a psu of at least 400 to 450watts.

A good quality psu will typically have an efficiency of around 70%.

For example. A good psu of 300watts and an efficiency of 70% will give you 210watts of stable power.

So, while a cheap psu might be rated at 300watts, it won`t actually be capable of giving anywhere near that amount of power.

Also a cheap psu won`t produce much stable amperage on the 12v rail.

You only have to look through these forums to see how many problems are caused by cheap psu`s.

A good quality psu is so often overlooked. when in reality it is the engine room of any computer.

Regards Howard :)

Ok, i'll bear it in mind. at the moment, i'm tackling my case. To get to the power pack (to remove it) you take it out from the top. on of these days i'll work out how to get the damn thing off... (it's a crappy Time standard one). I think i'll have to take both sides off (the mobo is on a separate panel, kinda like a double layer).

Is the installation just screw it in and plug 'n' play, or is there more involved. I was planning on getting an akasa psu (550w model, should keep me in check for ages)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back